Blonde Naso Help

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopped by my LFS and got a few fish. I stupidly forgot to watch him eat before I got him. Since I got him yesterday afternoon, he hasn’t eaten. I put a sheet of nori underneath the PVC in the QT tank, fed frozen mysis, and he still hasn’t eaten. I’m going to try and hatch some brine and see if it goes for that. For the past few hours, he’s been laying down in the PVC pipe. I’m not too sure what else to try, but i’m open to anything.

IMG_9594.jpeg

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopped by my LFS and got a few fish. I stupidly forgot to watch him eat before I got him. Since I got him yesterday afternoon, he hasn’t eaten. I put a sheet of nori underneath the PVC in the QT tank, fed frozen mysis, and he still hasn’t eaten. I’m going to try and hatch some brine and see if it goes for that. For the past few hours, he’s been laying down in the PVC pipe. I’m not too sure what else to try, but i’m open to anything.

IMG_9594.jpeg
I’ve shipped Blonde Naso tangs that were eating out of my hand prior to shipping that just decided not to eat at their new home. After a week they would start eating again. Just relax and soak the seaweed and other foods in some garlic extract and selcon. Try to reduce the stress as much as possible. He honestly looks pretty healthy even with the stress coloration.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9594.jpeg
You can also black the tank out. Cover the top and sides so it’s not stimulated by the light so much. This is a great acclimation practice for stressed fish.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also black the tank out. Cover the top and sides so it’s not stimulated by the light so much. This is a great acclimation practice for stressed fish.
I thought about that, but there’s 3 other fish that are doing good in the tank with them, would doing that have any negative effect to them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_9594.jpeg
Not unusual for a new fish to not eat the first couple of days upon acquisition however my concern is being a blonde Naso tang, historically over the last few months there has been an array of blonde Naso tangs that appear healthy and eat and slowly shut down, refuse to eat and weaken. Suspected is method of capture
Keep lights dim, do not black out the tank and try foods such as brine shrimp and even mysis shrimp
Pay attention to the breathing rate as the Naso I mentioned have a higher breathing rate and appear dazed/lethargic

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual for a new fish to not eat the first couple of days upon acquisition however my concern is being a blonde Naso tang, historically over the last few months there has been an array of blonde Naso tangs that appear healthy and eat and slowly shut down, refuse to eat and weaken. Suspected is method of capture
Keep lights dim, do not black out the tank and try foods such as brine shrimp and even mysis shrimp
Pay attention to the breathing rate as the Naso I mentioned have a higher breathing rate and appear dazed/lethargic
He luckily seems to be breathing fine. I’ll just keep a close eye on him. Is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for? I’ve lost a fish in quarantine only once, but I hate seeing fish slowly die.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, but there’s 3 other fish that are doing good in the tank with them, would doing that have any negative effect to them?
The goal is just to limit the amount of light going in on the fish. We important show blonde naso tangs at 14 inches plus and typically keep them pretty much completely covered until they settle down. You can always peak in to check on the other fish. If you see that they are reacting negatively you can make the necessary adjustments. What are the other fish I might ask? How big is the quarantine tank? How big is The tang?

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is just to limit the amount of light going in on the fish. We important show blonde naso tangs at 14 inches plus and typically keep them pretty much completely covered until they settle down. You can always peak in to check on the other fish. If you see that they are reacting negatively you can make the necessary adjustments. What are the other fish I might ask? How big is the quarantine tank? How big is The tang?
The tank is 37g, and there’s a copperband, clown, and korean angel in there with him. They’re all fairly small, the tang being the largest around 3 inches. All the fish have eaten immediately, which I was super excited about because my last copperband NEVER ate in qt until he died. I asked to watch the copperband eat in-store, but I completely forgot to ask to see the tang eat because I was so focused on the copperband eating.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tang looks like its showing stress coloration - either because its 'stressed' - or some other reason - it would be helpful to tell whether its quarantined, or in a medicated tank. A video of the fish under lighting would be awesome.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang looks like its showing stress coloration - either because its 'stressed' - or some other reason - it would be helpful to tell whether its quarantined, or in a medicated tank. A video of the fish under lighting would be awesome.
It is a medicated tank with copper, I will send a video in the morning because the lights are already off and I want to avoid any unneeded stress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He luckily seems to be breathing fine. I’ll just keep a close eye on him. Is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for? I’ve lost a fish in quarantine only once, but I hate seeing fish slowly die.
Keep an eye out for increased respiration, hiding, thinning which are signs noticed in fish mentioned

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 37g, and there’s a copperband, clown, and korean angel in there with him. They’re all fairly small, the tang being the largest around 3 inches. All the fish have eaten immediately, which I was super excited about because my last copperband NEVER ate in qt until he died. I asked to watch the copperband eat in-store, but I completely forgot to ask to see the tang eat because I was so focused on the copperband eating.
I think you’re gonna be just fine man. Sounds Like your LFS has a good selection of healthy fish. Are you planning on putting the Koran angel into a reef tank or do you have a fish only system? In case you didn’t know, those guys are pretty much guaranteed to eat coral.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re gonna be just fine man. Sounds Like your LFS has a good selection of healthy fish. Are you planning on putting the Koran angel into a reef tank or do you have a fish only system? In case you didn’t know, those guys are pretty much guaranteed to eat coral.
I only have gsp, mushrooms, and xenia. I heard it may not go for the gsp or mushroom, so I guess i’ll find out.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have gsp, mushrooms, and xenia. I heard it may not go for the gsp or mushroom, so I guess i’ll find out.
I’ve seen it done before with those corals. Really is probably just gonna come down to the individual fish.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen it done before with those corals. Really is probably just gonna come down to the individual fish.
That’s exactly what I’ve heard, Guess time will tell. My fish currently in my DT are fat and happy so maybe if i feed enough he won’t go too crazy. Maybe the GSP can grow faster than he can eat, or atleast one could hope.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took this video. He’s gotten worse and hasn’t moved from this corner for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_9599.mov
    18.1 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just took this video. He’s gotten worse and hasn’t moved from this corner for a while.
Unfortunately - some videos cannot see the R2R VIDEO - can you post a YouTube? Thanks and sorry for the extra work

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I’ve heard, Guess time will tell. My fish currently in my DT are fat and happy so maybe if i feed enough he won’t go too crazy. Maybe the GSP can grow faster than he can eat, or atleast one could hope.
Sounds like a good plan. I once had a yellow tang that would nip at mushrooms now and again. I never ran out of mushrooms lol. How is that Naso Tang doing?

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. I once had a yellow tang that would nip at mushrooms now and again. I never ran out of mushrooms lol. How is that Naso Tang doing?
He died while I was at work, luckily my girlfriend was able to take him out so he wouldn’t negatively effect anyone else in the qt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back