Blotchy with smaller fish?

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a blotchy that’s about 2-3 inches so still on the smaller side. I was looking at getting a couple of captive bred fish from biota which usually come fairly small. Looking at getting a blue mandarin and a Cuban basslet. Other fish I have in my tank currently; captive bred yellow tang, fairly small still, white tail bristle tooth(about 3-4 inches) and 2 clowns that are still fairly small maybe 2-3 inches. Tank is a reefer 350 g2

My main question is this, blotchies have rather large mouths, do I have to worry that the blotchy may eat the captive bred fish since they usually come in about 1 inch? I’d hate to spend $600 on a fish just for the blotchy to have a nice snack.

Second question that’s a bonus, how many more fish can I add? I’d love to add 2 wrasses(golden rhomb and lineatus) along with maybe an angel fish. Is my tank big enough or will I have a really high bio load?

Third and final bonus question, I was reading another page here about wrasses where the author mentioned that all his wrasses transitioned to male in a tank. Should I save money and get 2 females and wait for the transition or should I get 2 males and call it a day? I’ve heard males will be brighter with a female present but the author also mentioned that 2 males in different species will “flash” at each other.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is 350 gallons, that is quite a lot of room you can probably fit a lot more fish in there. i have no idea what a blotchy is (are you referring to the anthias?) so could you please inlighten me on that?

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
your tank is 350 gallons, that is quite a lot of room you can probably fit a lot more fish in there. i have no idea what a blotchy is (are you referring to the anthias?) so could you please inlighten me on that?
Sorry, my tank is not 350 gallons it’s a red sea 350 which is 70 gallon display, with sump it’s about 90 gallons. And yes the Anthias!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blotches can be jerks. Mostly a problem with wrasse. Once a blotchy are established it can be hard adding fish.
Best bet would be adding a few new fish to spread out any aggression that might happen. They have huge moths but never saw one try to eat a fish just chase them

Mine all been re homed. My last one lives at @OrchidMiss in her predator tank with eel and triggers

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blotches can be jerks. Mostly a problem with wrasse. Once a blotchy are established it can be hard adding fish.
Best bet would be adding a few new fish to spread out any aggression that might happen. They have huge moths but never saw one try to eat a fish just chase them

Mine all been re homed. My last one lives at @OrchidMiss in her predator tank with eel and triggers
Can changing the rock work help with that? I had a file fish that I added after the blotchy and it never bother the file fish. This tank is still fairly new(like a couple of weeks) and I’ve changed the rock work a few times. Luckily he’s still small. I’ll use an acclimation box when putting in the new fish and if I notice any aggression, I’ll move the blotchy to the sump and reintroduce it later on and see if that helps with the aggression if there’s any.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my tank is not 350 gallons it’s a red sea 350 which is 70 gallon display, with sump it’s about 90 gallons. And yes the Anthias!
your tank is a bit bigger, but ive heard that those blotchy anthias are jerks. i would try some angelfish maybe a coral beauty) if you don't plan on getting coral

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would also get like only 1-2 more fish (depending on the size) and also try to get an angel or a tang that stays smaller. 7 inches or smaller

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
also try to get the fish you want as big as possible and put them in at night
I’ll ask biota for a bigger fish if they can accommodate. I considered an angel but I do have coral. I had my file fish nipping at my LPS so don’t want to risk an angel at this point. The yellow tang is still super small. Got it captive bred so it came tiny and no color. He’s now yellow and bigger but still only about 2-3 inches.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get some for about 20$ and i should be able to defend if the blotchy tries to eat it. and the blotchy still is small

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
your tank is a bit bigger, but ive heard that those blotchy anthias are jerks. i would try some angelfish maybe a coral beauty) if you don't plan on getting coral
Update. Fish have grown since and are doing well! The blotchy chases after the Cuban basslet but seems to ignore the mandarin. I’ve also introduced a Johnson’s fairy wrasse that the blotchy also chases around. Blotchy seems to look for these fish and charge at them. I changed my rock work to accommodate plenty of hiding spots so the smaller fish have places to hide and I feed heavily. I’m thinking of selling or trading a blotchy for a smaller one. I think this guy is too big and established. Any other ideas to reduce blotchy aggression before going that route?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Fish have grown since and are doing well! The blotchy chases after the Cuban basslet but seems to ignore the mandarin. I’ve also introduced a Johnson’s fairy wrasse that the blotchy also chases around. Blotchy seems to look for these fish and charge at them. I changed my rock work to accommodate plenty of hiding spots so the smaller fish have places to hide and I feed heavily. I’m thinking of selling or trading a blotchy for a smaller one. I think this guy is too big and established. Any other ideas to reduce blotchy aggression before going that route?
Sorry about getting back to you so late, the only way to really reduce aggression is to get rid of the aggressor. You can try a move the rockwork around, but that might not work.

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about getting back to you so late, the only way to really reduce aggression is to get rid of the aggressor. You can try a move the rockwork around, but that might not work.
All good! Yeah I also noticed him charging at my yellow tang so he needs to go now.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno if you are still going to try a golden rhomboid wrasse and lineatus wrasse, but they are both from the Cirrhilabrus genius and will almost certainly fight in a tank that size.

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dunno if you are still going to try a golden rhomboid wrasse and lineatus wrasse, but they are both from the Cirrhilabrus genius and will almost certainly fight in a tank that size.
I’m going to hold off on the lineatus for now. Instead going for a Madagascar flasher if I can find one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back