Blue and Yellow Wall Hammer Dying?

Jrk2195

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help with a blue and yellow wall hammer. So I left for two days for a work trip and the wife just fed the fish like normal, normal top off etc. Water parameters are fine and I come back to find my hammer looking absolutely dreadful. During the day it’s basically fully retracted except for the outer edges and the outer edges seem to inflate, but the very base of the polys seem to stretch so thin and are brown, almost like a thread. I’ve had it for almost 6 months with no problems.
Now the only culprit I can possibly think of, is o came back to find my stubby clownfish, hosting what’s left of it. Is it possible it got smothered by the clown? Or what are the other possibilities and do y’all think it’s got a chance to come back? Clown has been removed as a precaution. First photo was taken the day I got back, the other was full photo was taken a week before I left.

3F1174E8-CEB2-473B-BE2D-E666EED6C6AB.jpeg 763E8F0B-79A6-42E4-BE02-049CEB47A542.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the prognosis would have been much better if the clownfish had been removed before the hosting damage was inflicted. Only time will tell if the coral will recover from the incident. I would expect that you will know in the next week if the coral can improve or if will continue down the pathway of decline. GL.

OP
OP
J

Jrk2195

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the prognosis would have been much better if the clownfish had been removed before the hosting damage was inflicted. Only time will tell if the coral will recover from the incident. I would expect that you will know in the next week if the coral can improve or if will continue down the pathway of decline. GL.
Oh if I were home and saw the clownfish doing it I would yank it out immediately. That clown has caused nothing but problems.
I had a hammer with similar damage and I gave it a dip in PolypLab Reef Primer. Half the coral died but it worked to save the other half.
Did you ever end up finding out what happened or what was causing the issue? Did anything come off during the dip?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever end up finding out what happened or what was causing the issue? Did anything come off during the dip?
I tried moving it next to another hammer, and I think it picked up BJD from the other hammer (which later died from BJD despite my best efforts to save it).

The polyps were all retracted when I dipped it, so I didn’t see anything come off.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally didn't mix a batch of saltwater and pure salt landed on the hammer coral at work. I stressed it out super hard. Came back in a couple weeks. Now it's back to full size.
Hammersick.jpg

For reference ^^^

OP
OP
J

Jrk2195

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally didn't mix a batch of saltwater and pure salt landed on the hammer coral at work. I stressed it out super hard. Came back in a couple weeks. Now it's back to full size.
Hammersick.jpg

For reference ^^^
I ended up putting in a iodine dip, seeing as I checked all my water and everything came out fine. So I’m wondering if it’s some kind of bacterial problem. If so at this point with it looking like it does, either the dip will help or it was going to die anyway.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back