Blue Cloves VS…..

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What have you seen win the coral battle vs blue clove polyps?. Especially in a mixed reef. Fish won’t do it cause they’ll eat other coral. My Blue cloves are getting out of hand and I’m cutting them back with red montis. (I’ll put frag of monti to invade their space). Anyone know other coral that will win in the territory war?, that also isn’t a nuisance? Will euphyllia sting blue cloves? I have a bunch of torches but they don’t seem to sting the blue cloves cause they’re usually under the umbrella of the torches.

I also use shadowing from other coral to prevent their growth but I’d like to keep em at bay with something that will win the war.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept blue clove polyps due to their reputation, but I've read that they won't grow on top of encrusting corals like you've observed. I don't think there's a coral that can win your war with them, but I'll give your thread a bump to get some more eyes on it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

20221005_184744.jpg

To this 20221013_161911.jpg

With microwaving tank water, toothbrush and h2o2 to finish it off.
May have to do it a couple times. Rinse with clean tank water veggie placing back in tank. 20221005_184700.jpg
This was just as bad, did it last week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What have you seen win the coral battle vs blue clove polyps?. Especially in a mixed reef. Fish won’t do it cause they’ll eat other coral. My Blue cloves are getting out of hand and I’m cutting them back with red montis. (I’ll put frag of monti to invade their space). Anyone know other coral that will win in the territory war?, that also isn’t a nuisance? Will euphyllia sting blue cloves? I have a bunch of torches but they don’t seem to sting the blue cloves cause they’re usually under the umbrella of the torches.

I also use shadowing from other coral to prevent their growth but I’d like to keep em at bay with something that will win the war.

OP
OP
D

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it seems a distinction between where the hammers can reach

Attachments

• 9178D476-A2DB-4D00-86D0-9E8C7705CE5F.jpeg
    9178D476-A2DB-4D00-86D0-9E8C7705CE5F.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 56

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advise to you would be to remove the blue clove polyps while you can before its too late. It's a very invasive coral. Had to redo my whole tank because of it and it came in as hitchhiker. Wasn't really blue kind for me was a darker color and more resistant to dying.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont do well near galaxea, then again nothing does. Galaxea kills it pretty quick with the sweepers. Also a nem will kill it. But you cant make a nem go anywhere so theres that lol.
Gotta agree, a galaxea would be very effective. The only problem is that it can be too effective to the point of wiping out everything in its vicinity.

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fenbendazole worked for me, some corals can fend it off, but it will grow everywhere else smothering and killing other corals, it has killed some acroporas, zoas. In my case it even started carpeting the sand bed.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the blue clove polyps will go into water colon and reestablish new colonies in other places when you try to get rid of it. Just fyi

So scrubbing is bad idea. Just from my experience

OP
OP
D

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got it. Just Aiptasia X. I know people have tried it before but had mixed results. So did I. But this time I left a good paste on them for an hour and a half with all pumps off. Believe me, they aren’t coming back where I had the paste. The spots are super clean rock. No cloves and no coralline. Since aiptasia x is very thick I was able to get close to sps bases also. This was an excellent route to go since I would never go that fendezole (sp?) route.

Did spike my ph so be careful with how much you use.

Only parts I couldn’t get to were inside of my zoa colonies that they were in. So be it.

overall I’d say a very good success. They were really stressing me out. Thought I was gonna have to do a tear down.

adam87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High calcium can kill blue cloves off over time. But it may also kill off other soft corals too. I use fenbendazole but it never really worked for me. But when got a calcium reactor for my 180 reef and it help keep my calcium levels at 450ppm plus. By keeping it at that level, overtime the blue cloves die off. I don't know if that would work for everyone. But it did work for me.

OP
OP
D

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High calcium can kill blue cloves off over time. But it may also kill off other soft corals too. I use fenbendazole but it never really worked for me. But when got a calcium reactor for my 180 reef and it help keep my calcium levels at 450ppm plus. By keeping it at that level, overtime the blue cloves die off. I don't know if that would work for everyone. But it did work for me.
How high did you go with the calcium?

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it. Just Aiptasia X. I know people have tried it before but had mixed results. So did I. But this time I left a good paste on them for an hour and a half with all pumps off. Believe me, they aren’t coming back where I had the paste. The spots are super clean rock. No cloves and no coralline. Since aiptasia x is very thick I was able to get close to sps bases also. This was an excellent route to go since I would never go that fendezole (sp?) route.

Did spike my ph so be careful with how much you use.

Only parts I couldn’t get to were inside of my zoa colonies that they were in. So be it.

overall I’d say a very good success. They were really stressing me out. Thought I was gonna have to do a tear down.
I'm currently trying kalk paste and it seems to be working

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back