Blue coralline algae - species name?

greeno1645

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Googled ‘blue coralline algae’ and found an old thread on this forum discussing the existence of blue coralline algae.

However, the photos others posted were not very clear, and honestly, I couldn’t tell if the ‘blue’ coralline was actually blue, or if it was due to lighting.

So, I’m posting what appears to be highly blue coralline algae growing in the 30 gallon setup that my son and I set up in January (so coming up on being 7 months old).

883947A7-E308-4D9B-9FA2-434F8C06520B.jpeg

8667D592-09E1-4304-B0EE-B4D68DB538F0.jpeg

Is there a species name for this electric blue coralline algae (if that’s what it actually is)?

The two photos were taken about two or three weeks apart if the same area of rock. Seems to have spread out a little, and there are quite a lot of other areas showing growth throughout the tank.

FYI - lighting in the photo is setting that us suppose to create the look of natural sunlight.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen blue coralline on some of my clients’ older tanks that still had “wild” live rock from when it was legal to import. I have not seen it randomly pop up in newer tanks, but it’s possible, especially if you’re seeding the tank with established rock.

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock is that. At first glance it doesn't look like aragonite or calcium carbonate.

I'm curious if the blue is a reaction with some sort of mineral in the rock.

My thoughts as well, I also would do a scrape to see if it is sponge. In other words, does it posses dimensionality and porosity.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back