Blue Coralline algae

Garrett Mackey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a real thing? I just bought a rock at a local fish store and they claimed it was encrusted in blue coralline algae. I've never heard of blue so not sure I believe it but thought it was worth the $12 regardless. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Garrett Mackey

Garrett Mackey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's under white light. Hard to see in pic but the entire rock is blue and its definitely not paint

20180727_150717.jpg

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But blue is possible. The Pukani I used in this most recent build is growing a teal color in the shaded areas of the rock.

jack220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a very blue area in my live rock for three years now. Originally it came in a batch of the “purple painted” stuff I bought for a little color in my white dead rock when I first set up my Red Sea 650 4 years ago. I did not notice it at first, but as the white rock aged, I saw a very blue patch under a rock shelf (low light) area. I took that side of the rock apart to investigate, and sure enough, there was a large blue area growing on several rocks. I tested putting it under higher light, and it seemed to fade. I have always been curious about what it was; it seems to be coralline, but I never confirmed it. When I saw your question, I thought it might be a good chance to find out. The original rocks have been scattered though my 2/ 220s, and my original Red Sea 175 gal. I was just looking at a new patch that has grown in my SPS 220 when I saw your post. Does anyone know more about it?

jack220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a real thing? I just bought a rock at a local fish store and they claimed it was encrusted in blue coralline algae. I've never heard of blue so not sure I believe it but thought it was worth the $12 regardless. Thoughts?

I am also very curious about blue coralline. I have had it growing in several areas over the years. I will be watching for others who have experienced this, as it has been for several years.

OP
OP
Garrett Mackey

Garrett Mackey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved it down to the bottom hoping the idea of less light may help it grow. Not really sure what to do with it but I love the look of the rock
I have had a very blue area in my live rock for three years now. Originally it came in a batch of the “purple painted” stuff I bought for a little color in my white dead rock when I first set up my Red Sea 650 4 years ago. I did not notice it at first, but as the white rock aged, I saw a very blue patch under a rock shelf (low light) area. I took that side of the rock apart to investigate, and sure enough, there was a large blue area growing on several rocks. I tested putting it under higher light, and it seemed to fade. I have always been curious about what it was; it seems to be coralline, but I never confirmed it. When I saw your question, I thought it might be a good chance to find out. The original rocks have been scattered though my 2/ 220s, and my original Red Sea 175 gal. I was just looking at a new patch that has grown in my SPS 220 when I saw your post. Does anyone know more about it?

jack220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BTW, if you put it out of direct light, it should continue to grow. I have been experimenting with it for years. Under full light you may lose it. I would like to keep in touch with you to share info and feedback. I have not seen anything else like it, and I am thrilled to hear it has not been my imagination that it is there!
Jack

OP
OP
Garrett Mackey

Garrett Mackey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the more people say less light, the more that makes sense because the other side of this rock is completely purple coralline algae so I think that's actually the side that was facing up originally and the blue covered the bottom. Not sure, but no way am I hiding the blue even if it means more growth.
BTW, if you put it out of direct light, it should continue to grow. I have been experimenting with it for years. Under full light you may lose it. I would like to keep in touch with you to share info and feedback. I have not seen anything else like it, and I am thrilled to hear it has not been my imagination that it is there!
Jack

jack220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like the same algae as I have. At first I thought it was paint, but it has continued to grow for over 3 years. Unfortunately, I had a Doc screw up a simple spinal fusion, and I am now in a wheelchair, with only limited use of my hands. I can not do any service or aquascaping in my tanks. I need to bribe my bride to be my hands! I am well known in the local jewelry stores; fortunately, she is now getting addicted to tank life too! She can even speak reeftankese! I never could get her to speak Klingon, so I am happy with what I have.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is true blue coralline. It is a lower-light type of coralline and it is VERY difficult to keep. I have not seen it in a long time since rock came from the Marshall Islands.

jack220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy to hear from another reefer that they have seen the blue coralline! I have not seen it in any other tanks (many) that I have visited. It is very tricky to keep it flourishing, it seems to come and go for no apparent reason. Thank the coralline gods, I have addicted the three nurses I had to hire, I need 24/7 care, so I now have three more assistants (with excellent lab skills) who love testing my water chemistry, feeding, cleaning, and checking my sumps. They have even learned most of the fish and corals by name. I confess to asking job applicants about their willingness to help with my tanks, and their answers have a definite influence on whether or not they get hired. My inability to do basic tank maintenance requires help every day. I can not even get into my mad scientist lab (I overdue everything I do) in the basement. I will get my fourth tank (2-220gal, a 180 gallon specific SPS, and a 300 gal FOWLR) they are all plumbed to over sized sumps in the basement. I could be happy if my only injury was loss of the ability to walk, but my skills with my hands are severely compromised, and everything I ever enjoyed in life is beyond my abilities. Oh well, life goes on!

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this live rock from my local aquarium. It’s purple on one side and blue on the the other
EA10594A-48B2-4DB7-9F6D-7AAFFE0941BD.jpeg

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen blue Coralline algae with my own two eyes!

I started reefing over 25 years ago and was on the board of directors for a large reef society and I have seen hundreds if not a thousand tanks at homes and pet stores and I had never seen it or even heard about it so I was just blown away! It was in a tall established 150 Gal tank, right on the bottom about 6 inches from the front and center of the tank and I could't believe it! It was absolutely blue! Like a medium to darker blue with white sort of specks on it on that particular rock. I had bought a tank from her and she was going to give me some of it but that was a few years ago and I still have not been able to set up my tanks yet because of crushing nerve and structural damage thanks to a hit and run drunk driver.

I am a Coraline algae freak by the way and hope to someday collect as many species and colors (along with fish and soft corals) as I can, both encrusting and plating.

I hope all of you are healthy and safe and God Bless! :)

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen blue Coralline algae with my own two eyes!

I started reefing over 25 years ago and was on the board of directors for a large reef society and I have seen hundreds if not a thousand tanks at homes and pet stores and I had never seen it or even heard about it so I was just blown away! It was in a tall established 150 Gal tank, right on the bottom about 6 inches from the front and center of the tank and I could't believe it! It was absolutely blue! Like a medium to darker blue with white sort of specks on it on that particular rock. I had bought a tank from her and she was going to give me some of it but that was a few years ago and I still have not been able to set up my tanks yet because of crushing nerve and structural damage thanks to a hit and run drunk driver.

I am a Coraline algae freak by the way and hope to someday collect as many species and colors (along with fish and soft corals) as I can, both encrusting and plating.

I hope all of you are healthy and safe and God Bless! :)
don’t understand how people get these crazy coralline strains and such
i mean i’ve only been around for 4 ish years but i’ve been trying since the little things like this and oddball inverts capture my niche the most
wish i could get stuff this cool

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back