Blue Green Chromis Bullying

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one blue/green reef chromis picking on all of the others in my ten gallon nano. What should I do? I put up a mirror, but are there any other ways to prevent aggression? I also rearranged my scape. They will be going in a 50 gal soon, so the fix only needs to be temporary.

Ol' Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many chromis do you have in your 10 g? Are they picking on other fish or just other chromis? They are normally a non aggressive fish that school together. But they might have to establish a pecking order. I am sure things will get better when you do go to the larger tank.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without more space the only temporary fix is removing the offender, but another one will likely takes the bullies place, it's the nature of the beast.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to @Tahoe61
I have 3 and one was randomly chasing another throughout the day. at night they were fine. I removed the "bully" for a bout 3-4 days. during that time the 3rd one become a little more aggressive. I went ahead and put the other back into the original tank. nothing really changed in the end. maybe a very slight difference.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis will often whittle themselves down to just one i.e. the winner. This problem only gets exacerbated when housed in a small tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased feeding and increased flow can help a little, but the bigger tank will help too. However if two pr up and start breeding it may be difficult for any others.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back