Blue Gudgeon Dartfish behavior

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I recently got a pair of Blue Gudgeon Dartfish in my tank. They were a pair at the store and it would break my heart to separate them even though we were only going to get two fish to finish our tank and my fiancee was getting a flame hawkfish. So I got the pair and while they were hiding at the store I still saw them come out every so often. They've been in my tank since Saturday and I saw them go straight into the rock work and they haven't come out, they dont even come out to eat. I've checked around the tank to make sure they haven't jumped, which they haven't. The rock they chose to make their home also is the rock that my ribbon eel is in. But they seemed to me to big for him to eat.. how long should I wait before I consider them dead? I know its morbid but.. if they dont come out to eat should I just assume they're dead?

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its ok to give it more time today is day 4. I had a trio of Zebra Barred that stayed hidden for 3-4 days. I even moved a rock to check on one, it swam and dove back into the sand. Another day later they were out and about.
Hopefully yours will do the same, I think if other inhabitants are doing well, the dartfish should be fine as well. With that said, I suppose I don't blame you for checking on them every so often.

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I should move the rock to check on them, I just have other rocks balanced on the bottom rocks they picked. I might try to squirt some food directly into the rock they picked and hopefully it will entice them out

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After typing all that he pokes his head out! Little brat lol

15513050236898984768477210561264.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought two way back and they just hid 99% of the time, they were so shy. i gave them to my mom and she still has them in her smaller tank, but they still hide 94% of the time. cool looking fish, but super timid it seems. interesting note is they share a hole with a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, so that's kind of interesting.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same problem feeling you. I have a 94% hider lol Zebra Barred Dartfish. My Yellow Assessors, and purple Firefish are out the time not this Dartfish.

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I took that picture he went right back into hiding. I have a male and a female so hopefully I can actually see them both soon

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 5 to our 180 last week and haven't seen them since lol. I hope they are just hiding, getting used to the tank and haven't died in the rocks or something.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one on top of the screen lids, dead of course. Put the glass top lids back on but have no idea if any others jumped. My wife said she saw one sticking its head out of the rocks the other night but I have yet to see any.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back