Blue Hermit Crab keep stuck in rocks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gabbone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gabbone

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2024
Messages
553
Reaction score
283
Location
The Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just got yesterday night two blue hermit crabs for my tank.

One is doing absolutely fine. Moving around, being curious, digging, climbing.

The other is acting a bit weird. Not very active, he is often inside his shell, and he seems going into rocks and getting stuck in some small holes all the time. Every time I pick him up I put him back on the sand or on the top of the rocks, he moves again into small holes and gets stuck.

Is that normal? Should I just leave him? What should I do?

Thank you!


IMG_0499.jpg
 
Hello!
I'm no expert, but I would say it is not getting stuck. I have one in my tank that for about a week would climb my birdnest SPS and perch at the highest point. Often I assumed it was stuck between the branches, because it had a rather large shell. Everytime I took it out and placed it in the sand and it always went back. Watching it climb my SPS I saw how resourceful they are climbing and moving throughout the tank. After a while it stopped climbing and now act normal and I did find a molt at the base of the bidnest.
So my guess is that it is preparing to molt and looking for places to hide and will act normal after doing so, and very unlikely to be getting stuck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new