Blue Hippo Dead Overnight

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to overdo things, but once I double the water, I take 1/2 out, and continue with the acclimation until I double it again. It takes longer, but feel better about it. Although can be more stressful for fish if you are acclimating multiple fish in the container. I use a a styrofoam box with an air stone.

OP
OP
F

flaireaichi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I agree with all of the replies above.

If you don't have a quarantine system and you want more piece of mind you can use a service like Dr Reef's (google: Dr Reef's Quarantined Fish). Dr Reef has a lot of vendor feedback on this forum if you want to do your due diligence. They'll acquire your fish and quarantine/observe them for you. They post their procedure on the web site--it's fairly thorough. No quarantine is 100% effective and there's still shipping stress and acclimation but it's cheap insurance if you don't have a QT tank.

For aggression you can purchase an acrylic isolation box to put in the tank so the other fish get acquainted with their new tank mate. That's also not 100% effective, and harder to do with large fish, but it's an extra precaution.
Thank you. I was pretty upset about it. I know we didn’t have him long but I cried anyway.

Thanks as well for the information!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! I know the salinity of my tank is 1.026 but I will have to check with my husband what it was for the store. Once you know the two numbers, if they differ, how do you acclimate properly?

If there is a large rise in salinity, you cannot make that leap in one pass. You need to lower the salinity of the receiving tank (assuming no invertebrates) and then gradually bring the fish up from there.

Here is an article I posted on general acclimation methods:

Jay

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 67 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back