Blue Hippo Tang has a swim bladder problem or is constipated

cdklos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I received a large shipment of new fish for my new tank from @Dr. Reef. I think Dr. Reef does a great job and we had no issues, except the Blue Hippo Tang was swimming upside down in the bag. (The only reason I mention Dr. Reef is because the fish was QT'd for 30 days at his facility and I'm quite positive this is a shipping issue. Either swallowing air or plane ride decompression issues. To be clear, I do not think this was a problem due to Dr. Reef, and they have been great in assuring me that if this fish doesn't pull through that they will honor the DOA guarantee.) I immediately got the tang in an acclimation bucket and watched her for a few minutes. Ammonia did not show up on the badge. Shipment was received on 5/25/23 at 11:30am.
See Video #1 attached.

Video #1 Hippo Tang upside down after shipment
I acclimated the tang normally; air stone, ammonia badge, drip acclimation over a period of 45 minutes. Her swimming seemed to improve a bit, but clearly swimming head down, tail up, and fighting to stay down.

I put her in the main DT until I could get a QT set up and then moved her to QT. The only time I have actually observed her swimming upside down was immediately after receiving her after shipment. In QT she will eat nori just fine, I have not observed her eating any pellet food I have fed. I have given her a MB dip for 30 minutes, 2x a day at 10 am and 10 pm. I also added epsom salt at a rate of 1tbsp / 5 gallons of water. She is in a 20 gallon QT tank. I'm not convinced the epsom salt will actually do anything at this low level, but I'm not sure of the repercussions of increasing the dosage. She is bloated on both sides, seemingly lower portion of her body, although its quite difficult to say. See Video #2 attached.
Video #2 Hippo Tang in QT with swim bladder complications

On the evening of 5/26/23 I decided to force feed her some peas ( I had fed them, but she wouldn't take them) on the recommendation of my local aquarium shop owner. While feeding her the peas ( I had her in the water, help up against the wall ) she had a bowl movement. It was very small, but it happened none the less. Afterwards I moved her back to QT and she started swimming like a normal fish again, up and down, in a manner that seemed like she had full control of her buoyancy again. The next morning, she was back to erratic swimming with no control over buoyancy, expending a high amount of energy to stay down in the water column, it seems. She is still eating nori, I have tried medicated pellets, but have not observed her eat any of them. I have also not observed her have any bowl movements except the one that I'm afraid I may have caused. Other than swimming head down tail up most the time, and not being able to control side to side action, she is breathing normally, and eating. This last video is from today 5/29/23. She is a bit angry, I just did a large water change; she did not like that. See Video #3 attached.
Video #3 Hippo Tang with swim bladder complications

Can anyone give me some guidance on a direction to go from here? I am not afraid to try to vent the swim bladder, but I don't want to do that if there is a possibility that is not the problem. I understand venting a swim bladder has a very low chance of actually fixing the problem. Is it possibly just an air ingestion problem from shipping that may resolve itself in due time, or constipation? I have Kanaplex on order to help with a possible bowl movement, but won't be here until Friday. Should I continue to force feed peas, or stick with nori, or possibly not feed for a few days?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All! I received a large shipment of new fish for my new tank from @Dr. Reef. I think Dr. Reef does a great job and we had no issues, except the Blue Hippo Tang was swimming upside down in the bag. (The only reason I mention Dr. Reef is because the fish was QT'd for 30 days at his facility and I'm quite positive this is a shipping issue. Either swallowing air or plane ride decompression issues. To be clear, I do not think this was a problem due to Dr. Reef, and they have been great in assuring me that if this fish doesn't pull through that they will honor the DOA guarantee.) I immediately got the tang in an acclimation bucket and watched her for a few minutes. Ammonia did not show up on the badge. Shipment was received on 5/25/23 at 11:30am.
See Video #1 attached.

Video #1 Hippo Tang upside down after shipment
I acclimated the tang normally; air stone, ammonia badge, drip acclimation over a period of 45 minutes. Her swimming seemed to improve a bit, but clearly swimming head down, tail up, and fighting to stay down.

I put her in the main DT until I could get a QT set up and then moved her to QT. The only time I have actually observed her swimming upside down was immediately after receiving her after shipment. In QT she will eat nori just fine, I have not observed her eating any pellet food I have fed. I have given her a MB dip for 30 minutes, 2x a day at 10 am and 10 pm. I also added epsom salt at a rate of 1tbsp / 5 gallons of water. She is in a 20 gallon QT tank. I'm not convinced the epsom salt will actually do anything at this low level, but I'm not sure of the repercussions of increasing the dosage. She is bloated on both sides, seemingly lower portion of her body, although its quite difficult to say. See Video #2 attached.
Video #2 Hippo Tang in QT with swim bladder complications

On the evening of 5/26/23 I decided to force feed her some peas ( I had fed them, but she wouldn't take them) on the recommendation of my local aquarium shop owner. While feeding her the peas ( I had her in the water, help up against the wall ) she had a bowl movement. It was very small, but it happened none the less. Afterwards I moved her back to QT and she started swimming like a normal fish again, up and down, in a manner that seemed like she had full control of her buoyancy again. The next morning, she was back to erratic swimming with no control over buoyancy, expending a high amount of energy to stay down in the water column, it seems. She is still eating nori, I have tried medicated pellets, but have not observed her eat any of them. I have also not observed her have any bowl movements except the one that I'm afraid I may have caused. Other than swimming head down tail up most the time, and not being able to control side to side action, she is breathing normally, and eating. This last video is from today 5/29/23. She is a bit angry, I just did a large water change; she did not like that. See Video #3 attached.
Video #3 Hippo Tang with swim bladder complications

Can anyone give me some guidance on a direction to go from here? I am not afraid to try to vent the swim bladder, but I don't want to do that if there is a possibility that is not the problem. I understand venting a swim bladder has a very low chance of actually fixing the problem. Is it possibly just an air ingestion problem from shipping that may resolve itself in due time, or constipation? I have Kanaplex on order to help with a possible bowl movement, but won't be here until Friday. Should I continue to force feed peas, or stick with nori, or possibly not feed for a few days?
Peas is an old method used for goldfish and does not work in marine setting. As for bouyancy, this often happens when fish are shipped and during transport will suck in air in the fish bag and have to expel it on its own.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 , The story as I learned it was the person who came up with the peas idea for goldfish was an aquarist at the Shedd Aquarium back in the 1960s. I learned it when I worked there … it was never intended to work on anything other than fancy goldfish, they have deformed digestive tracks that trap gas.
Epsom salts is another FW tonic that got misapplied to marine fish. Seawater has magnesium sulfate as it’s fourth salt, so adding a little more serves no benefit (but it can be dosed orally at 3%).

So - now that I’ve told you what won’t work - what to do? Unfortunately, not much other than time and supportive therapy (keeping it in dim light to keep it calm). If it is air in the gut, it may burp it out or pass it as gas. If it is the swim bladder, it may resorb on its own.

I’ve vented swim bladders on hundreds of fish, and I even built a pressure chamber to recompress the fish - I can resolve the symptoms 100% of the time, but always temporarily, it always comes back….sigh.
Venting has only worked for me when collecting fish, not when they develop over inflation of the swim bladder layer on.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back