Blue hippo with some kind of infection????

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home tonight to see this on him. Eating like a pig, acting normal and very active. No other fish seem to be affected. Doesn't look like ich but not sure. Any suggestions?

021.jpg

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off, how long have you had him & did you quarantine him? have you noticed any scratching against the rock or gravel? if it looks like a parasite, if so, you might have to pull him out & quarantine. i would suggest introducing some scarlet shrimp, if you don't have any. everyone will appreciate a good clean now & then. caution if you own any large wrasse fish or predatory fish, they will devour the shrimp. if you are housing large wrasse fish, introduce the shrimp after lights out, or else he will think its a nice tasty treat. good luck & happy reefing!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would guess a some small battle wounds or just rough housing and banging into some coral or LR. I have 5 Tangs and see similar markings quite often. With good water quality should heal very fast.

Cheers, Todd

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it could be a wound from another fish or from snuggling up into the rocks. Hippo Tangs will do that. He also could have bumped into a stinging coral. Looks more like a scrape or scratch though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. He has never shown any aggression or any of the other fish been aggressive with him but who knows. He does love to burrow up on the rocks so it could be that. I will keep the water good and feed him extra and see how he does. I do have a quarantine tank if I need to get him out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back