Blue jaw trigger male

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I bought what was supposed to be a male blue jaw trigger. It is about 3in. Beautiful fish but no blue jaw. I paid more for the male. When I called the store they said it will come with age, I have seen smaller bj trigger males with some blue but mine has none as of yet. Does anyone know if age has anything to do with the blue jaw. Thanks I will try to get a pic, he hides a great deal still.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he have yellow on the edge of the fins? Put a mirror up to him and see if the blue comes in.

my male btt doesn’t show much blue on his chin unless I put a mirror up to him. The yellow on the fins is always there though.

I don’t have a female.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he have yellow on the edge of the fins? Put a mirror up to him and see if the blue comes in.

my male btt doesn’t show much blue on his chin unless I put a mirror up to him. The yellow on the fins is always there though.

I don’t have a female.
Thanks ,I will try it .My trigger has a lot of yellow on the fins and a blue stripe in between the yellow on the tail. I'll let you know. So no color change means female correct?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ,I will try it .My trigger has a lot of yellow on the fins and a blue stripe in between the yellow on the tail. I'll let you know. So no color change means female correct?
Update: well, it won't come out, to afraid of the mirror. LOL

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure if all of the fins are trimmed in yellow that its a male. I think the female has a darker color on the tail fin and then no color trimming the dorsal and anal fins.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to tell at that size. You may have to wait another couple inches.
That's what the online store said but they also said that they sold me a male trigger. If I can't tell how do they?

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back