Blue Lasers to kill aiptasia and other reef pets

BBQDaddyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a few older posts suggesting a 3-5W 445nm blue laser to kill pests, however I am curious to know if it is safe to use such a laser on an acrylic tank? I am also interested in hearing about experiences trying this and laser recommendations.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales can you drop some knowledge here? I recall you experimenting with diy lasers on your podcast:)
My gut says you should be ok as blue light is still light and acrylic is transparent to visible light, but plastic acts in goofy ways when exposed to high energy light so I could be wrong.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales can you drop some knowledge here? I recall you experimenting with diy lasers on your podcast:)
My gut says you should be ok as blue light is still light and acrylic is transparent to visible light, but plastic acts in goofy ways when exposed to high energy light so I could be wrong.
I shot the laser through some acrylic, but don't have an acrylic tank to test it on. We do have a video in the works

I use a 20 watt laser because I found the smaller ones to not be powerful enough to make the juice worth the squeeze. It isn't magic, but is a tool I go to often for stuff that is hard to reach. You can seriously do damage to you, property, or you r tank even witht he 5 watt laser, so know that going in and take precautions.

OP
OP
B

BBQDaddyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shot the laser through some acrylic, but don't have an acrylic tank to test it on. We do have a video in the works

I use a 20 watt laser because I found the smaller ones to not be powerful enough to make the juice worth the squeeze. It isn't magic, but is a tool I go to often for stuff that is hard to reach. You can seriously do damage to you, property, or you r tank even witht he 5 watt laser, so know that going in and take precautions.
Thank you!

Estonian Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used high powered blue laser in the past to kill vermetid snails. It's costly upfront cost as good lasers cost alot of money. Good certified laser goggles for right wavelength are MUST as the lasers can cause permanent eye damage. Then there's reflections to worry about off the glass surfaces which can bounce laser beam. Aquatic life such as fish are in danger of vision damage as looking at the blue high powered laser will cause damage. It's dangerous and risky if you don't know what you are doing and even if you do then risk can only be minimised not eliminated.

IMG_20231015_214628.jpg

Last edited:

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used high powered blue laser in the past to kill vermetid snails. It's costly upfront cost as good lasers cost alot of money. Good certified laser goggles for right wavelength are MUST as the lasers can cause permanent eye damage. Then there's reflections to worry about off the glass surfaces which can bounce laser beam. Aquatic life such as fish are in danger of vision damage as looking at the blue high powered laser will cause damage. It's dangerous and risky if you don't know what you are doing and even if you do then risk can only be minimised not eliminated.

IMG_20231015_214628.jpg
Link to that laser ?

Estonian Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laser isn't great for Aptasia, their bodies are so thin and you a really goood angle to make sure you get them. I only use it for Aptasia when I can't get tem with anything else knowing that it might not be all that effective

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laser isn't great for Aptasia, their bodies are so thin and you a really goood angle to make sure you get them. I only use it for Aptasia when I can't get tem with anything else knowing that it might not be all that effective
I gotcha. I’ve had success with aiptasia x but there are a few in spots I think the laser might work well on. I want to use as they pop up to keep them in control. Do I need 450mn to work?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I remember 10-12 years ago ( not sure exactly ) when lasers were first tried out for aiptasia.
It was a fun experiment, but I found it useless for completely getting rid of aiptasia.
Most aiptasia keeps their base in a hollow or hole in the rock so it is near impossible to completely melt all of the aiptasia and they just grow back.
Then there is the whole pedal laceration thing.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha. I’ve had success with aiptasia x but there are a few in spots I think the laser might work well on. I want to use as they pop up to keep them in control. Do I need 450mn to work?
We talk about it in one of the podcast episodes. If you are interested you can Google it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be better off not doing anyyting. This will only spread them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back