Blue Leg Hermit Crab attacking my GSP, Normal?

TacticalBacon

Wisdom: Ball BAD, Gate Good, IYKYK if not ask!
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2024
Messages
390
Reaction score
460
Location
Knoxville TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read that the Blue Legs are reef sage except they may attack tank mates, anyone have issues with their Hermits eating their GSP?

I took him off after I noticed him on it and then it was looking like eat ate most of it.

20 mins later, he's back on it.

Is this normal.

GSP eaten.jpg
 
No and yes. Most hermit crabs will not bother corals. However, I have personally witnessed larger hermit crabs, especially red leg ones with the yellow/orange highlights, happily feasting on the skeletons and flesh of my LPS coral. They get promptly moved to the refugium if caught.
 
Now I will be looking for their little legs. I think they had some lighter color highlights in their little legs but I wasn't really paying too much attention to them.

Now I will be on the lookout for that.

Thanks for the heads up.

My GSP is coming back pretty good, The spots that were down are popping back up.
 
Maybe it wasn't eating the GSP? Some of the spots on the left look like algae. If the green part isn't missing I don't think it ate much :)
 
Maybe it wasn't eating the GSP? Some of the spots on the left look like algae. If the green part isn't missing I don't think it ate much :)
Certainly could be an overract by me. It was on top of the GSP, it could be eating some of the algae on the base I guess.

Just worries me, and I know GSP should survive in a toilet, but I am still new enough to trust but verify. LOL
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new