Blue-Legged Hermit Crab Attacked My Garf Bonsai

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals were looking incredible for weeks now and I hadn’t seen any of the hermits in the tank bothering them aside from trampling my zoas while they roamed around...until today. I caught one of the blue legged hermit crabs literally in between the branches of my Garf Bonsai and it looked like it was picking at the polyps (no dead tissue prior to him picking at it, the coral looked flawless before he got to it). I removed him but the Garf was already looking irritated with more than half the polyps retracted, which it did not look like last night. I removed him and placed him in an area where I saw a little detritus build up hoping he’d fill up there and leave the corals alone. A couple hours later I find him atop my WWC Nuclear Fusion Acro (my tallest frag), and that was the last straw, he’s out of the tank for good. Debating dropping off the rest of my hermits at my LFS after that.

For anyone who’s had a hermit attack an Acro, how long until it recovered? I have some Brightwell Restore on hand which is supposed to help with tissue damage, I’m contemplating dosing a small amount. Here are the before and after pics of the Garf (sorry about the different lighting, color of the coral is about the same, just way less polyp extension and looking a little rough now).

Before:
005F609A-8AC3-46D8-B8CE-87E50997FD1A.jpeg

After:
A745D076-59EE-4143-B691-557CE7CF3BF3.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet he wasn't attacking the coral but eating the slime or some algae not visible. My two scarlet hermits (all the rest including blue legs banished to the sump) will perch in a coral if it's stressed by something and eat the mucous the coral is making. I got rid of the other hermits for doing the same thing yours is doing. I don't think I'll ever have hermits again.

To answer your question, it should bounce back pretty quick if everything else is ok. I don't see any tissue damage. I would just be worried the reason he was on it was because it was stressed by something else.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wondered if something was off but because I’ve been dialing in my dosing and keeping an eye on my shifting nitrate and phosphate, I’ve been testing all major parameters daily (KH, Ca, NO3, PO4, Temp, Salinity) and everything has been pretty steady. I usually do my water changes on Sunday but maybe I’ll do it tonight instead just to be safe. There’s algae elsewhere, thought it was odd he chose to climb the two largest and healthiest acros I have (of course, right?? Lol). I think I’m probably going hermit-less as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost back to normal already. Good sign for the water quality. Happy it didn’t stay looking distressed for too long. The Nuclear Fusion is fine too. :)

61D52759-9E6E-4D2A-BD4D-9781D955E397.jpeg

77119B2D-AC5D-4558-B2DE-F9D8D747425B.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 203 71.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back