BLUE LIGHT REEFING: So you like to look at your reef under blues?

Do you use BLUE (actinic) lighting to make your corals POP?

• YES

Votes: 689 81.5%
  • NO

Votes: 116 13.7%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 40 4.7%

• Total voters

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of peoples tanks does not matter to me, it is their tank. I do regret merchants not showing pictures of corals under both kinds of lighting.

Not a fan of this take. We as hobbyists know what corals look like, you figure it out the first time you take it out of the frag bag it came in and if you are always going to be running white lights you're wasting your money buying super expensive colored frags. The blue lights show all the wild unique pigments, that's the entire expectation when you broadcast heavy blue and UV lights on top of it. Why shouldn't vendors show that off? It's not like they are liars; I take macro shots of my SPS all the time and all those colors stand out. It's not like I photoshopped and added them. It makes me crazy when people get bent out of shape about this, like do you honestly think that under a dull white light you're going to have a glowing rainbow frag? These things don't have batteries...

If you're interested in a natural white sunlight style reef then a softy tank will look so much better IMO!

Also, if you're seeing colors on the picture that you don't see in person then it's not the lights but rather the camera settings that are playing tricks on you. You can tell instantly when someone doesn't know how to use a camera properly when they start posting pictures of SPS frags that have heavy yellow/orange colors. Again, 2 months in and you realize this stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back