Feeling blue: What color lighting fills your tank?

What color lighting fills your tank?

• Warm white

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Cool white

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Cold white

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • Deep blue

Votes: 104 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 23 9.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are many different colors of lighting that reef keepers use for their aquariums ranging from strong blues to a yellowish white. There is a Kelvin color temperature scale that is used to help us put numbers to these colors as well as the light spectrum with frequencies related to different colors of light. As lighting technologies have changed, the ability to choose more specific colors has improved. Some people choose a more “natural” look and other choose a deep blue that highlights the fluorescent colors. Let’s talk about the color of lighting that you have selected for your tank. How blue (or not) have you decided to go and why?

josemorejon_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @jose.morejon14

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a mixture is what most folks are running vs just one of the color choices available on the poll. For that reason I voted other. I run heavy blues but also enough whites so the tank doesn't look glow in the dark fake.
Agreed. I have to be able to see the true color of my fish.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the human eye my lights seem cold white. On my lamp I have 10000K, 20000K, Royal Blue and UV.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As many know, I'm an Orphek person and run a balance of blue/purple/soft white and low red and green

1693519891235.png

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always liked my daytime lights to be on warmer end of the spectrum in the speculative 12-15k range with heavy blue highlights in the last few hours of the day. In regards to LEDs, it means I’ve normally ran the cool white spectrum around 65-75% and the blues around 75- 85% depending on brand and depth of tank.
Shout out if you remember Radium 250s

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what total spectrum would average out at. I'm running over 100% (AI Hydra 52's) on violet, Royal blue and blue and 30% Cool white. No red/green.

I'm a diver also and I want the tank to look more like what I see when diving.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
no idea what my spectrum classifies as. see attached. taken with orphek yellow& orange lenses with an iphone 12 pro max

IMG_9911.jpeg

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until a couple of days ago I ran a 6500k MH. I just got a MH/T5 hybrid light bar. The MH lamps are 14000k (Plusrite) and the T5s are ATI actinics. I love having the cold whites by day and the actinics in the early morning and late evening.

I’ll probably replace a couple of my actinics with a couple of ATI blue pluses to get some better PAR and not have a totally purple looking display. I love the pop the actinics bring to the table though.

gurthystag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue plus radion gen 4, and 4 blue reef brite xhos

Attachments

• 20230812_232529.jpg
    20230812_232529.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 49

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 hours at front and back of lighting cycle are Actinic XHO.

Remainder of photoperiod is comprised of 50/50 XHO (8 hrs) + Kessil A500X @ 100% Color + 100% V, R, G (5 hours).

"Full Spectrum" develops the pigments within the coral tissue. Blues bring out those pigments and make the corals fluoresce. It is a necessary to maximize the genetic potential of the animals.

Edit: Cool whites just make everything look ugly. Very low color rendition - everything looks twilight grey... makes me woozy just thinking about it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are many different colors of lighting that reef keepers use for their aquariums ranging from strong blues to a yellowish white. There is a Kelvin color temperature scale that is used to help us put numbers to these colors as well as the light spectrum with frequencies related to different colors of light. As lighting technologies have changed, the ability to choose more specific colors has improved. Some people choose a more “natural” look and other choose a deep blue that highlights the fluorescent colors. Let’s talk about the color of lighting that you have selected for your tank. How blue (or not) have you decided to go and why?

josemorejon_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @jose.morejon14

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
I prefer whites - Blues don’t give coral growth nearly as well as they put the energy into colour more than growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back