Blue Line Tang is dying.. help!

Jon Tepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance on saving my blue line tang? We got him with our yellow tang who were tank mates about a month or so ago. They've all done great and our parameters are excellent. Everyone gets along. Went to sleep last night and everything was fine. Woke up this morning and our blue line tang had bites out of both fins and tail. He is real lethargic now, becoming translucent, and swimming only at the top of the tank in a weird motion. He will not at all. Is there anything I can do to save him? I think our ***** damsel attacked him in the night. Please help!
20160812_175040.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that poor fish, ouch.

I would be more inclined to think you have a predator than the Damsel. Could be a predatory worm, a large green serpent star....
It would be ideal if you treated prophylactically with a wide spectrum but since this sounds like a trauma verses disease not sure treatment is required.

If the physical injuries/symptoms were not of sudden onset than I would consider a disease such as Velvet.

Unfortunately it sounds dire, other then try to give the fish more O2.

OP
OP
Jon Tepper

Jon Tepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that poor fish, ouch.

I would be more inclined to think you have a predator than the Damsel. Could be a predatory worm, a large green serpent star....
It would be ideal if you treated prophylactically with a wide spectrum but since this sounds like a trauma verses disease not sure treatment is required.

If the physical injuries/symptoms were not of sudden onset than I would consider a disease such as Velvet.

Unfortunately it sounds dire, other then try to give the fish more O2.

I have a coral beauty, damsel, clarkii, yellow tang, coral banded shrimp, and icon double star.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like aggression to me... Could have been any of the fish you listed, all of them can be cantankerous.
And I've never heard that fish in the picture called a "Blue Line Tang", it's called a Tomini Tang commonly.
If you have a hospital tank it would be good to try and trap it and move it away from whoever the aggressor is so it can recoup.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, he needs to be removed from that tank if for no other reason than to get him away from whatever did this. I actually would treat with Melafix in this situation. :eek: Tea tree oil will help his ripped fins more than antibiotics right now.

OP
OP
Jon Tepper

Jon Tepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up this morning and unfortunately he's passed away. First fish we've ever lost in this tank. The coral banded shrimp keeps carrying him up the live rock, so I'm gonna remove him asap.

I've never seen any fish attack each other so it must be when the lights go off.

I know it sounds stupid, but the damsel just looks like a sneaky b**** in the face. It's probably the damsel or coral beauty.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jon Tepper

Jon Tepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope my yellow tang is alright because they were original tank mates that's why I bought them together. The yellow tang seems to be frantically looking for his friend.

I pulled the other tang right away. Here's what he looked like.
20160813_082049.jpg

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry! [emoji24]
Damsels can be real bad in community tanks. And yes, a lot of aggression can happen at night when the fish go to find their sleeping spots. If 2 have their eye on the same spot or even general area there will be battles. I would try to trap the damsel and see if you can bring it back to your LFS. The coral beauty may have done it, but they aren't as much fin pickets as they are body shots. Damsels attack the fins of other fish more often.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually get in the clarkii to do damage like that before a damsel- I assume the clarkii is larger. My clarkii got in to it with a fish every once in awhile and the damage was devastating. I traded her for coral pretty quickly

OP
OP
Jon Tepper

Jon Tepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our clarkii is huge. His name is Deebo Nemo and he pretty much stays in his anemone all day.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a fish, but from the looks of the ripped fins a rogue crab or shrimp would be at the top of my suspect list. Something with claws.

Got any large hermits or others crabs? Any lobsters or hopefully not a small mantis shrimp? I can't see the CB shrimp doing that unless the fish was already sick/weak from something else.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it all depends on the species of damsel cause I've had that same problem. Removed everything that thought was causing the problem to find out that the damsel was the problem. I lost a bi color Angel an a flame Angel to them dang fish. No more damsels in with my display an no more problems. Wish you the best of luck.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Damsel and Clarkii are at the top of the known suspect list, and then there's the unknown. Keep a close eye on the other fish in case they start to fall victim.

OP
OP
Jon Tepper

Jon Tepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clarkii spends 90% of his time in his anemone. In fact, when the lights go out until the lights turn on he sleeps in anemone, he turns pale white and comes out in the AM. The damsel is a yellowtail damsel and for the first time ever I saw it charge my yellow tang today. Any time I add fish the coral beauty is angry for a day and then everything is fine. I'm really thinking that its the damsel.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back