Blue or Royal blue

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, can you elaborate on this? I couldn't find any articles. Is it specific to Trachyphyllia sp only?
I'll look up the reference. The fluorescent protein found in Trachyphyllia (named Kaede - Japanese for 'maple leaf' since the leaves change from green to red) is identical to one found in Echinophyllia echinata, and quite possibly others.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd go with LEDs producing UV/violet/blue at 405-420nm and green around 515-525 (even if the latter are lousy at producing green light intensity.) Coloration is another issue altogether. UV/violet are very good at promoting fluorescence. There is some evidence that light at 470nm will arrest development of fluorescent proteins, such as the green to red fluorescence seen in Open Brain corals (Trachyphyllia sp.)

Why not the more efficient cyan (490-510) diodes?
Or lime..;)
26feb14LuxeonLimeSpectrum-611.jpg

BTW: Chl a/c molecule ratio still 10/1???

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not the more efficient cyan (490-510) diodes?
Or lime..;)
26feb14LuxeonLimeSpectrum-611.jpg

BTW: Chl a/c molecule ratio still 10/1???
Sure, that would work just fine. I think the ratio we should look at is the ratio of peridinin to chlorophyll a. Your thoughts?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, that would work just fine. I think the ratio we should look at is the ratio of peridinin to chlorophyll a. Your thoughts?
4 to 0ne... ;) chl a to per..
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3947849/

Peridinin–chlorophyll a-proteins (PCPs) are one of the major light harvesting complexes in photosynthetic dinoflagellates [1-3]. PCP is water-soluble and has the blue-green (470 nm to 550 nm) absorbing carotenoid peridinin as its primary pigments.

per.jpg

The calculated peridinin-to-Chl a energy transfer efficiency is 95%.

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends... homodimeric to monomeric ratios of chl a to peridinin, if I read the references correctly.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends... homodimeric to monomeric ratios of chl a to peridinin, if I read the references correctly.
3:1, 4:1, 4.5:1, 6:1 pick one.. ;)
They are all in there..
no real sense in getting too specific for general interpretations..

However, Symbiodinium PCP is poorly understood in the aspects of structure, spectroscopic properties, energy transfer, etc. In general, dinoflagellate PCP proteins are very diverse. The length, pigment content, sequence and spectroscopic properties of PCP can be distinct among different dinoflagellates or even in an individual dinoflagellate.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a chart of major/minor photopigments found in zooxanthellae. Bear in mind the type of solvent used to extract these pigments will alter the major absorption peak by a couple of nanometers.
upload_2018-3-17_9-10-57.png
Peridinin really seems to drop off rapidly when approaching 500nm in this chart compared to others. Is also due to the solvent used?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things do shift w/ different solvents ect.. Here is one w/ "corrections"...

invitro.JPG

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 to 0ne... ;) chl a to per..
My thought was that intensity would be an issue since we're dealing with a lot of peridinin and aqua/green LEDs generally aren't very efficient. With that said, I think your spectral recommendations are right on.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, can you elaborate on this? I couldn't find any articles. Is it specific to Trachyphyllia sp only?
I haven't forgotten - I spent some time today going through the references I have on coloration. It's narrowed down to two books and one 3" d-ring binder. It is there.... somewhere.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't forgotten - I spent some time today going through the references I have on coloration. It's narrowed down to two books and one 3" d-ring binder. It is there.... somewhere.
I have been reading;Bookworm through your coloration series on Advanced Aquarist website. Very interesting stuff. Mostly over my head ;Sorry but lots of great information I have been applying to my LED build. Really appreciate what you do for the hobby. Thank you Sir!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading;Bookworm through your coloration series on Advanced Aquarist website. Very interesting stuff. Mostly over my head ;Sorry but lots of great information I have been applying to my LED build. Really appreciate what you do for the hobby. Thank you Sir!
Let me know if you have any questions on the lighting, and I'll do my best to give an opinion. Are you going to ARC's frag swap next month?

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dana. Ill be attending the ARC frag swap. Hopefully I'm not broke by then because I also plan on going to my first Reef-A-Palooza Orlando the weekend before.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dana. Ill be attending the ARC frag swap. Hopefully I'm not broke by then because I also plan on going to my first Reef-A-Palooza Orlando the weekend before.
Good! Hope to see you at the ARC event. I'm the old bald guy. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back