blue plus/ super actinic only combo?

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use blue plus mixed with super actinic for lighting? I really like the all blue look and the super actinics with the blue plus really makes a nice dark blue violet look just wondering if the acros would do good with this spectrum and no full spectrum bulbs I've noticed my alkalinity and calcium demand has slowed down a lot since I switched to this combo but not sure if it's the combo or the corals need time to adjust to the new spectrum I know Jason fox used mainly all blue and reefbrights but would like to see if other reefers are having suscces this combo I'm running 4 blue plus 2 super actinic on atidimmable

Alk 8.3
Cal 420
Mag 1400
Phos .03
Nitrates 3
Ph 8.0

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue that JF uses is not as blue as what you are talking about... somebody will know the brand, but they are more like a B+ than actinics. There are some posts out there that he also has some Haldies that he runs for a handful of hours a day (not all day). I do not really know for sure since he says different things in different videos, but it is of little consequence. His goal is to sell and farm, not keep a reef, so imitating any vendor does not always work out so well.

There is no doubt that more daylight will grow stuff faster, but who cares if everything is healthy and growing and you like the look.

OP
OP
L

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I believe he uses geisman actinic blue wich is the same as blue plus or similar since switching my growth has slowed even though the blue plus have nice par I was running 2 coral plus my coral seem to have faded I've gotten my color back with the blue plus and actinic but not much growth in the past few months

Last edited:

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I run a few 8 bulbs for 'blue' look favoring customers with 6 Blue plus and 2 true actinics.

My personal LPS color up and conditioning tray sports an 8x54w with 4x true actinics and 4x blue plus

No issues at all with coral health in either. And like @jda mentoned unless you want explosive growth dont worry about running this kind of combo- I find pruning a nuisance in client systems so I dont mind if they prefer this type of bulb mix. Its not my bag really, but thats the beauty of T5HO - its near impossible to pick a bluer bulb mix that wont keep healthy corals.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried about growth, then get a few GE 6500k and run them when you are not at home... then just view the tank under the blues when you are around. This could introduce some more color in any acropora (if you have any), but probably won't do much for LPS and softies.

I would be worried about no growth, but not really slow growth. Slow growing corals can still be healthy.

OP
OP
L

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was mainly worried about spectrum I like the blue plus actinic look and since switching my lps have really regained their color nicely I dont really want really fast growth just steady growth with nice color is fine I think they just need time to adjust to the new spectrum

OP
OP
L

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a dozen acros and lps they definitely have slowed down in growth my alk and calcium have dropped but everything still look healthy my lps seem to love it and the colors have come back on them I think a mixed tank really make things tricky sometimes with diffent things liking diffent lighting / spectrum

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried about growth, then get a few GE 6500k and run them when you are not at home... then just view the tank under the blues when you are around. This could introduce some more color in any acropora (if you have any), but probably won't do much for LPS and softies.

I would be worried about no growth, but not really slow growth. Slow growing corals can still be healthy.
Any idea what kind of par the GE 6500 bulb puts out?

OP
OP
L

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using the blue plus/ super actinic combo ? I replaced one actinic with another blue plus to give the tank little extra par but I'd like to see what affects in the coral people have with this kind of combo ..growth...color change ..etc..thanks

OP
OP
L

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jda ..so acros need full spectrum to color up to their full potential and in return produce more florescent colors when under blue light?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved away from 3-Radion XR30 Pro's and went to an 8bulb T5 and 2 Reefbrite Actinic XHO strips.
My T5 combo is (1 ABS, 2Coral +, 4Blue+ and 1 Actinic). Myself I'm thinking about pulling another Blue plus out or the Actinic and adding another ABS. I find that with the full spectrum light the Acro's that like light will produce more of the pink, pinkish purples.

My ABS and Coral+ bulbs run for 4.5 hrs during the peak, then my Blue + will stay on for another 2hrs max. Then only my XHO Actinic LED strip ramps from 100% down to Zero by 11pm. So most of my viewing is with blues and my full spectrum is going while I'm working.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back