Tomini Tangs and small aquariums

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
793
Reaction score
440
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long could a tomini tang thrive in a 45g aquarium? I'm not talking about how long could they live, I'm talking about happily living in a tank that size. I'm always wanted one, but I have a 45g aquarium and I've heard they can be fine for a few years and then I'd have to trade him in. I know I get attached to my fishy friends and it would be a sad day when the time came to say so long friend. In hindsight I should have bought the 65g aquarium because I fear that I have an uphill battle with my wife coming should I decide to ask her about getting a bigger aquarium when the time comes.

I am not looking to add an animal that won't be happy in my tank. If a tomini tang won't be happy, I won't pursue the idea.
 
Last edited:
Same here. Been in there 2 years, Waterbox 50.3. I think this is a good candidate for this tank.
 
I know your not asking me, but it is a light load. 3 green chromis, a storm clown, and a gramma. He is the largest of the 6, but still small overall with good coloration.
 
WOW! what other fish do you have in there? I don't want you in trouble with the tang police, their under cover agents are everywhere.
Yes they get intense…I have 3 fish: tang, 6 line, Royal Grammy.

I have kept dozens of tangs, some are only suited for large tanks. Tomini Tangs seem the exception. I have not noticed any behavior issues. He acts similar to tangs I have had in large tanks. Here is my 300+ gallon…
IMG_1481.png
 
I know your not asking me, but it is a light load. 3 green chromis, a storm clown, and a gramma. He is the largest of the 6, but still small overall with good coloration.
I've always wanted one but I've been nervous about how it'd work out in my tank. I have a midas blenny, watchman goby, a yellow coris wrasse, mandarin, and a springer damsel. THe watchman goby and the six line wrasse are the jerks of the neighborhood The watchman goby doesn't even like snails in his den. I also have a lot of LPS coral, hammers, torches, frogspawn, blastos, and sps
 
I’ve kept plenty of tangs and they are very messy fish. They poop ALOT. That alone would keep me from putting them into anything under 80 long term. The water quality and nitrates in a small tank will be a problem eventually.Thats just me though. It’s your tank so do what makes you happy.
 
I’ve kept plenty of tangs and they are very messy fish. They poop ALOT. That alone would keep me from putting them into anything under 80 long term. The water quality and nitrates in a small tank will be a problem eventually.Thats just me though. It’s your tank so do what makes you happy.
Just responding to no3….
IMG_1348.jpeg
 
Just responding to no3….
IMG_1348.jpeg
So many factors there. I still wouldn’t do it. I’m sure you’re dosing for nitrates and doing weekly water changes to keep a uln system. That’s what I do along with everyone else keeping nitrates that low. Not everyone is gonna do that. I’m by no means tang police. If you’re not willing to do the work it’s not gonna end well for anyone.
 
So many factors there. I still wouldn’t do it. I’m sure you’re dosing for nitrates and doing weekly water changes to keep a uln system. That’s what I do along with everyone else keeping nitrates that low. Not everyone is gonna do that. I’m by no means tang police. If you’re not willing to do the work it’s not gonna end well for anyone.
I do weekly wc but for coral growth and tank health. Only use a protein skimmer, no carbon dosing or supercharging bacteria. I wouldn’t describe my system as ULNS. I wouldn’t recommend a tang in a tank as small as mine but it is doable for an experienced hobbyist imo.
Just now and he seems very happy….imo!
image.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new