Tomini Tangs and small aquariums

Seems that the suggested minimum tank size for a tomini tang is 70-75 gallons.

While I've read (even in this thread) that people have housed other tangs and they simply only grow to their environment, I tend not to believe that, and I would not get a tomini for your tank.

I've only had my tomini for a year or so, and he's probably 4 inches long.
The reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one is because they are too big for my aquarium size. With that said, IF I went crazy and bought one then I would rehome it after a few years. It's not impossible to do in a smaller tank, but there's restrictions on them.
 
Another question I have is IF I were to get a tomini tang and let him live in my 45g, how susceptible would he be to ich? I have a UV sterilizer.
That is the thing….people often lecture it’s cruel or inhumane to house a tang in a small tank but don’t QT which imo is malpractices. Imagine a fish fight off a plague of parasites for its entire life. I would much rather live in a small comfortable house vs a large house filled with ticks.

QT is a must and is nonnegotiable!
IMG_0975.jpeg
 
Yes they get intense…I have 3 fish: tang, 6 line, Royal Grammy.

I have kept dozens of tangs, some are only suited for large tanks. Tomini Tangs seem the exception. I have not noticed any behavior issues. He acts similar to tangs I have had in large tanks. Here is my 300+ gallon…
IMG_1481.png
Would you describe the Tomini’s behavior to be similar to that of other, non bristletooth, tangs?
 
Would you describe the Tomini’s behavior to be similar to that of other, non bristletooth, tangs?
I had a yellow eye bristletooth tang….meanest fish, it killed or harassed fish I would not expect. Even in my 300+ gallon! So no my Tomini’s is very chill in comparison to all other tangs bristletooth or not. Most tangs I have had showed some aggression, but the Tomini’s displays none. I only have 2 other fish and my clown jumped, so maybe he feels no competition with the other fish?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new