Blue spiny lobster tank mates

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my LFS has a tiny 1” (not 1’) spiny lobster and I was wondering if anyone here has experience keeping them with other inverts of the same size or bigger, the tank he would go in currently has a large brittle star, a bunch of gulf live rock and a 3” squat lobster, I understand he will probably become more aggressive as he grows. I just want to make sure he won’t fight with the squat lobster at his current size.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas would you have any info on this?
I'm actually not sure on this one - sorry.

I know in the wild, they reportedly eat primarily hermit crabs (which are relatively closely related to squat lobsters), but I don't know if it would even try to eat a squat lobster at all, and I doubt it would try to go after one that much larger than itself. Similarly, they are also known to eat sea urchins (which are relatively closely related to brittle starfish), but that doesn't mean it would try to eat a brittle star (though it might).

It would be a risk over time (the lobster should hit ~30 mm/3.15" by three years old; if yours is ~1" then it's incredibly young, but should still be around nine months to a year old), but if you decide to take it, then I'd say to keep us updated on how it goes.

As a note, they also eat mollusks (bivalves and gastropods - i.e. clams, oysters, snails, etc.) and algae.

Toddlerone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you from first hand experience that they can be predatory. Mine is about 4"+ body length and earlier this week ate a 6" Nasco Tang that he caught sleeping. As yours gets bigger make sure to feed him at least every other night. Just my nickel.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can tell you from first hand experience that they can be predatory. Mine is about 4"+ body length and earlier this week ate a 6" Nasco Tang that he caught sleeping. As yours gets bigger make sure to feed him at least every other night. Just my nickel.
Welcome to R2R!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back