Crab ID - guy has to go

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys…

Can I get an id on this guy?

I bought 6 emerald crabs from a vendor we typically agree is reliable. At first I thought they were duds because they weren’t touching my bubble algae…but after about two weeks they went to town on it. Like in places I didn’t even know they could get to like on top of my wave maker.

Anyhow, they came in the size of a nickel. Now two of them that I see regularly look like they e been doing prison workouts in my tank. And one has gotten really aggressive.

To make things worse, he has taken up shelter in the cave where all 5 of my firefish live peacefully. I feel like it’s only a matter of time until he snatches one!

I’m a fairly new reeder but I know this guy is sumpbound. Did I end up with a gorilla or some other crab in the bunch? Mistakes happen.

Also, he is fast. How do I get him out without dismantling my reef? The video is better than the pic but it was the best I could do. Now it looks like the iPhone vid won’t play on here?
IMG_3361.jpeg

Fishy Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No crabs in the world are friendly , either predator or prey depending their size , even anemone crab become veracious to any other inhabitants that get close to it , the small crab that live in simbiotic relationship to corals are the preys to any other fish even another crabs

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put food in long tweezers.
Once he grabs the food.
Grab him.

The round shape looks like an emerald to me... but difficult to ensure 100% w/o photos in white or natural light.

Males are larger. Females are smaller.

But just my two cents:
IMO you are trying to control the nature.
Let the crab and fish will life their life. Changing caves is normal.. it's like an anemone. It will not stay where you want. They will do what they want.

Emerald is a predator, scavenger and they will do their job. Feed this boy with pellets often and we will not bother anybody and IF someday something dies, don't even thing about taking out of the tank. Emeral will have a feast. With these guys in, there is no overfeeding, they can pin point where is food.

I like them because of their function in the ecosystem. It's like professionals of trash and recycling. If they are not there, we'll notice and things will get out of control.

20231202_103306.jpg

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put food in long tweezers.
Once he grabs the food.
Grab him.

The round shape looks like an emerald to me... but difficult to ensure 100% w/o photos in white or natural light.

Males are larger. Females are smaller.

But just my two cents:
IMO you are trying to control the nature.
Let the crab and fish will life their life. Changing caves is normal.. it's like an anemone. It will not stay where you want. They will do what they want.

Emerald is a predator, scavenger and they will do their job. Feed this boy with pellets often and we will not bother anybody and IF someday something dies, don't even thing about taking out of the tank. Emeral will have a feast. With these guys in, there is no overfeeding, they can pin point where is food.

I like them because of their function in the ecosystem. It's like professionals of trash and recycling. If they are not there, we'll notice and things will get out of control.

20231202_103306.jpg
Appreciate the insight. I now believe I may have a gorilla crab(s) on my hands. The one I am seeing often has hair on his legs.
IMG_3361.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back