blue spot jawfish really reef safe?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2020
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
1,339
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up and saw that my blue spotted jawfish appeared to be breathing really heavily. I freaked out thinking he was sick but then he spit out an entire hermit crab. I mean they kind of deserve it but everything I've read said they don't touch them. Has anyone had the same experience?
 
This morning I woke up and saw that my blue spotted jawfish appeared to be breathing really heavily. I freaked out thinking he was sick but then he spit out an entire hermit crab. I mean they kind of deserve it but everything I've read said they don't touch them. Has anyone had the same experience?
It doesn’t surprise me as it’s not unheard of for jawfish to eat CUC.
I haven’t kept this species in a personal reef tank with CUC so I can’t say much on this. We did get 1-2 come in in the LFS I worked in and they generally didn’t mind anything unless it went into their territory.
 
might it be possible the crab was already dead and the fish was just enjoying a crab dinner?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new