Blue spot Jawfish with clowns and torches

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know blue spot jawfish prefer colder waters so I'm curious if I could keep clowns with them along with some torches I own?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, clowns and torches would not survive at the 60 degree temps (or lower) that blue spot jawfish should be kept at. There are some pretty cool cold water fish that would be appropriate to house with it, such as the Catalina Goby and some Sculpins. Also, cold water nems (Strawberry, etc.) and stuff.

Conversely, a warm water jawfish to consider would be a Yellow Head / Pearly Jawfish.

If you have your heart set on the Bluespot, Algae Barn has a good article on keeping cold water aquariums:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, clowns and torches would not survive at the 60 degree temps (or lower) that blue spot jawfish should be kept at. There are some pretty cool cold water fish that would be appropriate to house with it, such as the Catalina Goby and some Sculpins. Also, cold water nems (Strawberry, etc.) and stuff.

Conversely, a warm water jawfish to consider would be a Yellow Head / Pearly Jawfish.

If you have your heart set on the Bluespot, Algae Barn has a good article on keeping cold water aquariums:

Ok thank u for the information

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know blue spot jawfish prefer colder waters so I'm curious if I could keep clowns with them along with some torches I own?
I know blue spot jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti) have been successfully bred with spawning from temps between 21.7C (~71F) to 25.3C (~77.5F) before*; clownfish have issues if the temp drops below ~75F (see the quote below).

So, to keep both the blue spot jawfish and clowns at a good temp for each, you'd need to balance the tank at ~76-77F. It's possible to do, but if it gets too hot it could kill the jawfish, and if it gets too cold, it could kill the clowns and torches - personally, I'd avoid it.
If you have Occellaris clownfish, their long-term lower temperature limit is reportedly ~75F (24C); at 75F and above, there’s no problem.* If the temp is slightly below 75F, you may not see problems unless they stay at that temp for a few hours/days. For immediate damage to occur from temperature, the temp would likely need to be somewhere around 59-65F (15-18C).**

Some tips in this related thread:

*Source:
**Source (Fig. 3 is the relevant data):
*Source (Edit: sorry, it's in Spanish):

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back