Blue spot jawfish?

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to get a blue spot jawfish for my tank, but know they have some problems with temperatures above 74 degrees, and the room temp is 73-74 degrees, so if i unplug my heater will i be able to keep this fish?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May need to get a chiller. Every piece of equipment in the tank is giving off heat as it uses electricity. A 50w pump is basically the same as a 50w heater. So all your equipment in and around your tank is going to heat it up above local temp. May only be a couple degrees but if you really want to keep your tank stable, get a chiller and keep your heater and get a controller that has heating and cooling plugs. You never know when something weird happens, window left open in the winter, whatever. The stability will be worth having both, you'll be able to sleep knowing that your temp is going to stay where it needs to be.

Hope I answered your questions!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Want to get a blue spot jawfish for my tank, but know they have some problems with temperatures above 74 degrees, and the room temp is 73-74 degrees, so if i unplug my heater will i be able to keep this fish?
mine in 78 degree water with no issues. As most are from the sea of cortez, their water has thermoclines which range from 73-78 degrees

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine in 78 degree water with no issues. As most are from the sea of cortez, their water has thermoclines which range from 73-78 degrees
ok, and you keep your tank at that temp all year? i’ve seen people say you need the water to be colder in the winter and warmer in the summer, but i’m not willing to constantly change the water like that

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ok, and you keep your tank at that temp all year? i’ve seen people say you need the water to be colder in the winter and warmer in the summer, but i’m not willing to constantly change the water like that
During summer having chiller, I’m at 76-77 as I adjust the thermostat on unit

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept my reefs at 75-77f. I had a bluespot yeas ago it was fine for the year or so i had it. I sold it to someone local because it kept moving places it lived and burying all the corals on the sand bed and lower rock work. Beautiful fish.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank between 76-78 year round and my bdjf was thriving and eating like a champ! Unfortunately he found a gap in my lid and became floor jerky!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept my reefs at 75-77f. I had a bluespot yeas ago it was fine for the year or so i had it. I sold it to someone local because it kept moving places it lived and burying all the corals on the sand bed and lower rock work. Beautiful fish.
totally. I'm annoyed having to un bury everything from sand. But 76 degrees is my tank and been up to 78 in summer. he's also a PIG for eating those mysis cubes.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ok sounds good, anything else i should know?
Offer good diet and water quality. This fish needs a variety, not just flake and pellets

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back