Blue spot jawfish?

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish. Had one for years. It hung out in a cave with its head sticking out, and spit mouthfuls of sand at damsels that dared swim nearby. Had a chiller, think it was kept around 76 - 78F.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
live or frozen variety
Both
Some good foods:
LRS nano frenzy
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
Small plankton
Formula one frozen

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i got him. hasn’t been in the tank even 48 hours, and he’s already made 3 burrows. He doing good, eating really well in front of other fish and like a pig from a syringe which is nice since i got rid of a banded and snowflake eel to get him lol. I also have a ghost ribbion eel, about 19 inches, and was wondering if I should get rid of that eel as well

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i got him. hasn’t been in the tank even 48 hours, and he’s already made 3 burrows. He doing good, eating really well in front of other fish and like a pig from a syringe which is nice since i got rid of a banded and snowflake eel to get him lol. I also have a ghost ribbion eel, about 19 inches, and was wondering if I should get rid of that eel as well
Blue spot would be an expensive meal. Not saying it'd happen for sure but you know....Eels.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you keep your ghost well fed it might be ok. but anything can always happen. has he bothered anything else? it may depend on how big your jaw is too. my guess is when the jaw is just resting on the sand or rock the ghost may take a snap at him.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve kept them before and the last one I had before the velvet incident 3 years ago was fine in my system. 77-78. Personality. Rip Muppet.
IMG_0504.jpeg
IMG_0293.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you keep your ghost well fed it might be ok. but anything can always happen. has he bothered anything else? it may depend on how big your jaw is too. my guess is when the jaw is just resting on the sand or rock the ghost may take a snap at him.
i’ve had him around 2 years now, and he’s eaten 2 coral banded shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and a purple lobster, but when they molted and i was away and someone else was taking care of the tank for a week or longer. That was in the first year of owning him and since i got the 2 eels the i got rid of he’s been ok.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eels eat crustaceans. the ghost eel should eventually get to double the current size and would think yes, he would eat it at some point. My jaw displaces so much sand everywhere. probably why I never see Dinos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back