Blue Spot Jawfish

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I was looking into maybe getting a blue spot jawfish they are cool looking fish. However I already have a Diamond watchman goby.
Two questions:
1. Will these two fish fight since they are both bottom dwellers?
and
2. Does the jawfish make crazy burrows like the watchman goby does? Like am I going to have a problem with him also covering corals on my sand bed or will he just really find a hole under a rock and go into it without building a mansion of sand around it?
Thanks

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good questions!
I have both in my DT. I would recommend that you have a deep sand bed and an area for the jawfish to burrow. They much prefer small (like gravel and little bigger) to build their burrow and plenty of sand.
Mine get along just fine, but I have a large tank. The jawfish will nip at the diamond goby if he's sifting near the burrow, but otherwise, they leave each other alone. I also have a yellow watchman and they all get along just fine. The jawfish doesn't move too far from its burrow once it settles in. I know folks say they are jumpers, but mine doesn't even venture beyond mid tank.
As for burrows, the jawfish puts the diamond goby (and yellow watchman goby) to shame. More like a penthouse condo with balcony and several secret entrances... And a nice rock/shell entrance!
I will add that the jawfish is my favorite fish... great personality and a model citizen!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that specific jawfish will need cooler temps long term.

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BSJ as mentioned above build HUGE systems. I mean he could rearrange half the tank overnight. One night I went to bed and woke up to my gold hammer being used to prop up a new entrance to a new tunnel he dug. I ended up having to move the tank to my new house and when I lifted the rock, the tunnels were honestly extremely impressive. So be ready for that.... As for territory, they are pretty peaceful however a word of caution because I had a purple firefish that would sneak a night here and there in the BSJ tunnels and well, all was good for about 9 months and then the BSJ caught it and the firefish ended up dying due to injuries.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BSJ as mentioned above build HUGE systems. I mean he could rearrange half the tank overnight. One night I went to bed and woke up to my gold hammer being used to prop up a new entrance to a new tunnel he dug. I ended up having to move the tank to my new house and when I lifted the rock, the tunnels were honestly extremely impressive. So be ready for that.... As for territory, they are pretty peaceful however a word of caution because I had a purple firefish that would sneak a night here and there in the BSJ tunnels and well, all was good for about 9 months and then the BSJ caught it and the firefish ended up dying due to injuries.
Wow. Yes that’s all I needed to hear. I’ll pass on this fish the last thing I need is corals dying and my aquascape flipped upside down when I wake up the next morning lol

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Yes that’s all I needed to hear. I’ll pass on this fish the last thing I need is corals dying and my aquascape flipped upside down when I wake up the next morning lol
I will say, because of my BSJ jawfish are now my favorite fish to keep, hands down. You should look into maybe getting a Pearly Jawfish. I have one of those and he is just as personable and is 1/7th the cost ($20 vs $150ish). Not only that but you can buy them much much smaller than BSJ so my pearly is only about 1.25 in. He keeps to himself in a corner with his one tunnel and does not go crazy. In fact, he stands his ground really well to my absolute terror of a clownfish, Lisa.

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I was looking into maybe getting a blue spot jawfish they are cool looking fish. However I already have a Diamond watchman goby.
Two questions:
1. Will these two fish fight since they are both bottom dwellers?
and
2. Does the jawfish make crazy burrows like the watchman goby does? Like am I going to have a problem with him also covering corals on my sand bed or will he just really find a hole under a rock and go into it without building a mansion of sand around it?
Thanks
These are incredibly difficult fish to keep alive. The first one I got somehow jumped out of the tank even with the lid on. I heard him bouncing off the lid all night long. Woke up in the morning and found him dried up on the floor. Don’t know how he managed that. I tried again a few months later and this little guy seemed fine and happy for a few days only to die suddenly with no apparent reason. Do a google search on these guys. They are fascinating fish but almost impossible to keep alive in captivity.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back