blue spot ray stopped eating. tail looks infected please help

claynelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5F5BD318-80BE-4785-AAAB-15E2B34A8FCE.JPG

thats a shot of his tail. the female is swimming around and eating well. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5F5BD318-80BE-4785-AAAB-15E2B34A8FCE.JPG

thats a shot of his tail. the female is swimming around and eating well. any help would be greatly appreciated.

As you likely know, this species can be pretty delicate and prone to skin infections. You say that it is eating well - how long have you had it? See the pelvic girdle showing at the base of its tail? That means it is really emaciated.

The first thing I think of when I see damage/infection on a ray's tail is, what other fish are in with it? This looks like something has been biting on it....could even be from another ray. You may never see actual aggression or contact, it is over in a split second.

Jay

OP
OP
C

claynelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you likely know, this species can be pretty delicate and prone to skin infections. You say that it is eating well - how long have you had it? See the pelvic girdle showing at the base of its tail? That means it is really emaciated.

The first thing I think of when I see damage/infection on a ray's tail is, what other fish are in with it? This looks like something has been biting on it....could even be from another ray. You may never see actual aggression or contact, it is over in a split second.

Jay
Is there anything that can be done for the infection? I’ve had it for just over a month and it was eating very well if it’s from another fish I know it’s the 1 butterfly. I’m working on catching it at the moment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back