OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days now and he is still chilling out in the same burrow. I tossed in some crushed coral for him to use for the burrow since it’s mainly just finely grained sand. He took it instantly and used it all up.
He was taking in hermit crabs because I was lacking crushed corals.
Definitely a character.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he started behaving erratically now. First few days he was fine in the same burrow.
Then that night he started wandering and was just out fully and I did hear some splashes so he definitely tried jumping.
Also today during the day he was out completely. But hiding somewhere I cant see now.
So I decided to add some PVC for tunnels and a few pounds of crushed coral since I have mainly just a fine sand substrate.
Hopefully he will find a pipe, settle down, and get comfortable.

Edit:
Just saw him in the back of the tank hiding under/behind a rock with a zoa colony on it.
He showed himself to eat. He looks ok. But still hope he settles down in one of the PVC pipes I put in for him. I don't like seeing him wander aimlessly or just sitting out exposed near the glass.

Last edited:

VMAX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like seeing him wander aimlessly or just sitting out exposed near the glass.
They're crazy the first several days, but once they find a happy part of the tank they calm down. If the BSJ doesn't settle in, then you have a problem: water temperature, tank mates (your sand shifting goby), too much water current, shallow sand bed, tank layout. From what I've read in your post, you have the BSJ in a 125 set to 75 degrees; can you drop the temp down to 72? (The BSJ is a cool-water fish, hope you knew this before buying.) Also, is your sand bed deeper than the length of your BSJ? The ones I've had in the past always preferred making a vertical burrow. They'll dig around the tank like mad until they've found an area they like, then they stay put and start gathering small rocks/corals/shells/etc to build their burrow. If there's fish in your tank that's a threat to the BSJ, they'll dart around and jump. So yeah....hope you can keep your BSJ happy.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're crazy the first several days, but once they find a happy part of the tank they calm down. If the BSJ doesn't settle in, then you have a problem: water temperature, tank mates (your sand shifting goby), too much water current, shallow sand bed, tank layout. From what I've read in your post, you have the BSJ in a 125 set to 75 degrees; can you drop the temp down to 72? (The BSJ is a cool-water fish, hope you knew this before buying.) Also, is your sand bed deeper than the length of your BSJ? The ones I've had in the past always preferred making a vertical burrow. They'll dig around the tank like mad until they've found an area they like, then they stay put and start gathering small rocks/corals/shells/etc to build their burrow. If there's fish in your tank that's a threat to the BSJ, they'll dart around and jump. So yeah....hope you can keep your BSJ happy.
He seems to have settled. There was one night he was acting off.
Since then he has been in the same burrow.
I can’t and won’t change the water temperature.
I try to avoid knee jerk reactions that can harm more than it can do good. I have corals and fish acclimated to 75-77 for years.
I need to just relax a bit. So far the BSJ looks healthy, is eating well, and seems to have settled.
I do appreciate the advice.
There are many different temperatures BSJ has survived in captivity. The “72° is needed” mark for BSJ i find as “incorrect”. Even on this thread you have people that have kept the BSJ at 78° for years.
I mean it could be good or maybe it’s not necessary.
In the wild the water temperature where BSJ live varies seasonally. So I wonder where the 72° thing started and how it became so prevelant on forums.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to have settled. There was one night he was acting off.
Since then he has been in the same burrow.
I can’t and won’t change the water temperature.
I try to avoid knee jerk reactions that can harm more than it can do good. I have corals and fish acclimated to 75-77 for years.
I need to just relax a bit. So far the BSJ looks healthy, is eating well, and seems to have settled.
I do appreciate the advice.
There are many different temperatures BSJ has survived in captivity. The “72° is needed” mark for BSJ i find as “incorrect”. Even on this thread you have people that have kept the BSJ at 78° for years.
I mean it could be good or maybe it’s not necessary.
In the wild the water temperature where BSJ live varies seasonally. So I wonder where the 72° thing started and how it became so prevelant on forums.

The information on their temps and habitat is based on the experts long before these forums. Such as Bob Fenner and those who dove and studied these fish.

That’s not to say a fish can’t survive outside a natural setting but it’s not just word of mouth on a forum.

I have always wanted to set up a subtropical tank for one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update
It’s been a week now. For the past 4 days it has settled into his spot. Has not left it.
He has not used any of the PVC pipes I put in for him. He is using a burrow made under a rock, with apparent tunnel systems he made to each side of the rock.

This has to be the healthiest fish I have ever purchased. He was eating on day one. And is still munching away at each feeding.
He is eating it all. Brine, mysis, and even pellets.
Looking good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update:
The BSJ is still doing great.
He is eating great. Every time I feed and everything I feed with.

He isn’t using any of the PVC I put in for him. Looks like he made some intricate tunnels using the sand bed and crushed corals/shells. Mainly around the live rocks.
At night I see him out and about. During the day he is hanging at one of his tunnel entrances.

Definitely the most intelligent fish I have ever had.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update :)

Going on 2 months now and BSJ is doing amazingly well.
I couldn’t be happier. The BSJ was an amazing addition. Pricey fish are always risky, some work out some don’t.
This one I can happily say is great so far.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, mine doesn’t seem to mind at all not having the whole 8” deal everyone keeps talking about
Yep. I was worried at first after reading everyone’s professional opinion. That’s a road to nothing but anxiety.
And I’ve had him for 18 months now. No issues. Very healthy. Amazing coloring. Eats like a pig. He is always decorating his caves and is very territorial of them.
Super fun fish to watch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back