Blue Spotted Puffer Not eating

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a blue spotted puffer two months ag0, and he doesn't seem interested in eating snails of clams. He is a little pig when it comes to mysis and brine shrimp. how can I get her to show interest in shell fish to file down her teeth?

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-0158.JPG
IMG-0159 (1).JPG

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would head to a fish store that sells freshwater stuff or a friend with a pond. See if they have any of those tiny pond snails and ask for a couple. Add in a tiny bit of Mysis to get her going, then when it’s gone drop in a snail or two and hope she goes for it. If she does then I’d continue that until she is big enough to move onto larger snails.

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would head to a fish store that sells freshwater stuff or a friend with a pond. See if they have any of those tiny pond snails and ask for a couple. Add in a tiny bit of Mysis to get her going, then when it’s gone drop in a snail or two and hope she goes for it. If she does then I’d continue that until she is big enough to move onto larger snails.
I've tried snails. She shows o interest, I have tried putting a couple drops for garlic on the clams and soaking the snails in garlic.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried snails. She shows o interest, I have tried putting a couple drops for garlic on the clams and soaking the snails in garlic.

Did you try mixing them in with other food though? She may just not realize it’s edible. Hopefully somebody else can help give some advice as well.

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try mixing them in with other food though? She may just not realize it’s edible. Hopefully somebody else can help give some advice as well.
i have not I will try that tomorrow when i feed. i appreciate your help

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is excellent advice already, though . . .

Get her eating the things she likes, in close proximity to the things you'd like her to eat, and see how that goes down. See if you can get some mysis to sit inside a clamshell, so that she gets a taste of the mollusk along with the crustacean. Would she take a bit of shell-on shrimp from the grocery store?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent advice already, though . . .

Get her eating the things she likes, in close proximity to the things you'd like her to eat, and see how that goes down. See if you can get some mysis to sit inside a clamshell, so that she gets a taste of the mollusk along with the crustacean. Would she take a bit of shell-on shrimp from the grocery store?

~Bruce

She is only an inch and a half so she will only eat the shrimp if I cut it up, and when I do so the shell comes off. [emoji849]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about her teeth. She will graze on live rock to keep them trimmed. Just keep offering a variety of foods, as that is healthy. As she matures she will try more foods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%

Back