Blue Squammy Hardiness?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear from those who have kept both - are the cultured blue squamosa of comparable hardiness to the traditional squamosas?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of them... got them at 2 inches. They are about 7 and 9 now. I find them to be very hardy with the only downside being that they are expensive. They are as hardy as the greenish/brown squammys. This is the sixth (or maybe 7th) pair that I have had... when they get to nearly a foot, I re-home them to public aquariums, nice displays or larger tanks... and then start over. They are a holy grail clam for me since they are hardy, grow quickly and colorful. IMO, they are easier to get now than they used to be a decade ago... probably the only clam on this trend.

Here are mine from about a year ago. I will try and get a fresh photo for you later on tonight.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of them... got them at 2 inches. They are about 7 and 9 now. I find them to be very hardy with the only downside being that they are expensive. They are as hardy as the greenish/brown squammys. This is the sixth (or maybe 7th) pair that I have had... when they get to nearly a foot, I re-home them to public aquariums, nice displays or larger tanks... and then start over. They are a holy grail clam for me since they are hardy, grow quickly and colorful. IMO, they are easier to get now than they used to be a decade ago... probably the only clam on this trend.

Here are mine from about a year ago. I will try and get a fresh photo for you later on tonight.
How big is the tank you house them in if I may ask? I love clams, but my tank is only 14g :(

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Love the stripes on that one!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for the bad iPhone pic, but I promised an update shot. They do "walk around" a bit.

In the time between these pics, you can see that some stupid Utter Chaos got loose and sprung up a 20-25 polyp colony... in the next pic, you might see them kalk-pasted. :)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful !! Heres my big blue!!
20180903_163844.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back