Blue Star Leopard Wrasse - Neurologic Issue?

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2” Bluestar Leopard Wrasse with abnormal behavior and was referred to posting here and tagging @Jay Hemdal

I purchased the Bluestar from a trusted LFS on 9/22, where she has been in a 10gal QT tank with a dish of sand though she hasn’t been interested in sleeping in it. I dosed the water with CoperPower to match the conditions at the store (1.69ppm), with the intent of ramping up to therapeutic levels once she was eating again.

This Saturday morning I found her swimming with only pectoral fins, the back half not moving, and the overall body contorted as if the back was broken. After returning that night with Clove Oil and another Blue Star, I found her swimming normally as if nothing was wrong. I added the other Bluestar to the same tank.

This behavior cycle has repeated ever since. Is this neurological, swim bladder, etc? Should I euthanize or let it play out, and if the latter should I isolate her from the new specimen?

Any insight would be appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s very possible and a video under white light intensity will help with assessment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There would be no rationale to dose to 1.69 ppm copper. If you bring a non QT'd fish home - (which this one is) - you should be using 2.5 copper. Does the fish have any other symptoms, etc Second your post says you have had the fish since 9.22 (assume you mean 9.23) - and lastly the neurologic symptoms do not go along with a parasitic disease - but a neurologic - and likely incurable issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2” Bluestar Leopard Wrasse with abnormal behavior and was referred to posting here and tagging @Jay Hemdal

I purchased the Bluestar from a trusted LFS on 9/22, where she has been in a 10gal QT tank with a dish of sand though she hasn’t been interested in sleeping in it. I dosed the water with CoperPower to match the conditions at the store (1.69ppm), with the intent of ramping up to therapeutic levels once she was eating again.

This Saturday morning I found her swimming with only pectoral fins, the back half not moving, and the overall body contorted as if the back was broken. After returning that night with Clove Oil and another Blue Star, I found her swimming normally as if nothing was wrong. I added the other Bluestar to the same tank.

This behavior cycle has repeated ever since. Is this neurological, swim bladder, etc? Should I euthanize or let it play out, and if the latter should I isolate her from the new specimen?

Any insight would be appreciated

It sort of sounds like the Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease (UNWD) except the part about the fish getting better and then showing symptoms again - on and off like that is not typical.

Here is the thread where we discuss UNWD:

Can you post of video before and after the symptoms?

Jay

OP
OP
T

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. It became a bit harder to get video as she decided to emulate the other and finally slept in the sand dish.

I just moved them to my larger QT after it completed sterilization.

Here is in the morning

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just now

I’ll start getting to individual responses next

I can see some symptoms in all three videos, is the fish still eating, or at least trying to eat?

Jay

OP
OP
T

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some symptoms in all three videos, is the fish still eating, or at least trying to eat?

Jay
I’ve seen her picking at the bottom, though she tends to eat when not directly observed.

Should I continue observing her? In the am I contemplate euthanizing, but then I witness the following (2.5hrs after my last video):

OP
OP
T

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about its beak? Is she opening and closing her mouth normally? Or do you see that the jaws are off-centered (evidence of slamming into something)? Has she eaten anything?
Her jaws appear to be in good shape. I’ve seen her flex them sporadically, and she has been eating roe, pods, and chopped frozen brine/mysis.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen her picking at the bottom, though she tends to eat when not directly observed.

Should I continue observing her? In the am I contemplate euthanizing, but then I witness the following (2.5hrs after my last video):

If it is still eating, you could hold off euthanizing it, but it does look pretty thin already.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back