Blue star Leopard wrasse question?!

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having my tank for 4 years now I’ve always battled ich I do not have a qt so I always thought if you kept them well fed they’ll be ok...my wrasse is itching against the sand I know it’s ich because my goby has it also... question is is she a goner or can I keep this beauty alive?! Taking the fish out for however long they say is not a option...I have a uv light that I plan on getting a new bulb for today as it has not been running in months any actual reef safe ich treatments out there or is it all bs?? Ty you professionals !

Heatherhigg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having my tank for 4 years now I’ve always battled ich I do not have a qt so I always thought if you kept them well fed they’ll be ok...my wrasse is itching against the sand I know it’s ich because my goby has it also... question is is she a goner or can I keep this beauty alive?! Taking the fish out for however long they say is not a option...I have a uv light that I plan on getting a new bulb for today as it has not been running in months any actual reef safe ich treatments out there or is it all bs?? Ty you professionals !
Try and keep him eating and he should get over it. Ich normally kills fish when they stop eating, if he is eating prepared foods and not just pods try giving him some garlic/ginger in his food to keep his appetite up and he should pull through.

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse is itching more against the sand now ...still eating like a pig but I noticed 3 other fish now itching so once again I have ich but I don’t see any dots on them...I’ve had her for 3 weeks now it appears to be getting worse....any experienced wrasse lovers know if she can survive ? Wish they made a reef safe ich treatment that actually works...qt is not possible as here in New York you spend a lot of money for a tiny spot I simply have no room for another tank

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Take into consideration that this is my experience and things may vary for you. I bought a female blue star leopard wrasse 3 years ago when I first got into the hobby, I still have her to this day. I was not quarantining at the time and my first tank went through hell. I had plenty of ich outbreaks that killed many of my fish, my leopard was the only one to make it out of the tank. I think the reason could be that she is burrowed in the sand at night when the ich is attaching to fish and reproducing but I'm no expert. My leopard was also slapping against the sand, since then she went through qt and my tank is currently ich free but she still slaps and stirs up the sand and its because she's hunting. The slapping can also be because she's flashing and itching from the ich or flukes but I think you'll be okay, leopards are hardy when they acclimate to the tank. Goodluck!

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for the response yea she’s eating and very fat and active now so I hope she’ll just pull through with heavy feedings keep you posted !

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely ich or some parasite because I see the difference when he’s searching for food and scratching ....she always does a head nod thing here and there but idk if that means much

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back