Blue star Leopard wrasse swim bladder issue??

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey wrasse experts, I received some blue star leopards today in a shipment and they are currently in my qt.

I think they have some sort of swim bladder issue (see video). I’m not sure if they seem bloated or well fed, since they all pooped in their shipping bags, it didn’t seem white or stringy. They swim with their tail up and seem to be positively buoyant to various degrees. One of them tends to float to the surface as it idles. I’m going to get some epsom salt tomorrow and then treat them with General Cure.

Would this course of action be adequate for this situation? Hopefully, this issue is shipping related and will resolve itself, or should I try to lance the swim bladder now? If I do which antibiotic would be best used in this case?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure if it’s a buoyancy issue but possibly internal issue. Is fish/has fish been eating?
What is current ammonia and nitrate level?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is another video, breathing also seems to be on the slightly heavier side as well compared to other established leopards.

They are definitely breathing too fast and deep.

How were they shipped (time frame)?
How did you acclimate them?
What was their starting and ending salinity for acclimation?
Do you know the ammonia level in the shipping bags?

The head down posture is from slight positive buoyancy. I see that sometimes in fish that were just shipped by air - the lower pressure during shipping over inflates their gas bladder. This issue can also happen if fish are moved from low to high salinity water.

Skip the Epsom salts, that is incorrect information that just gets passed around and around. These salts are the fourth most common salt in seawater, adding a bit more changes nothing but the salinity. It is a freshwater fish treatment that got misused in marine aquariums.

Jay

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if it’s a buoyancy issue but possibly internal issue. Is fish/has fish been eating?
What is current ammonia and nitrate level?
44747A48-F171-4021-AC25-5FCA81DC4674.jpeg

This is from a new ammonia badge, nitrates are at 0.

They are definitely breathing too fast and deep.

How were they shipped (time frame)?
How did you acclimate them?
What was their starting and ending salinity for acclimation?
Do you know the ammonia level in the shipping bags?

The head down posture is from slight positive buoyancy. I see that sometimes in fish that were just shipped by air - the lower pressure during shipping over inflates their gas bladder. This issue can also happen if fish are moved from low to high salinity water.

Skip the Epsom salts, that is incorrect information that just gets passed around and around. These salts are the fourth most common salt in seawater, adding a bit more changes nothing but the salinity. It is a freshwater fish treatment that got misused in marine aquariums.

Jay

These were shipped to me by ups air saver and I got them around 4 pm cst and they were scanned at the ups at 5pm pst. These wrasses came from quality marine.

I temp acclimated them, then matched the salinity of qt to the bag, they came in at 1.021 and I set the salinity of the qt to that. Once they hit temp I put them in. Currently the qt is at 74 degrees. I also don’t know the ammonia of their bags but they’re was no foul odor.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
44747A48-F171-4021-AC25-5FCA81DC4674.jpeg

This is from a new ammonia badge, nitrates are at 0.

These were shipped to me by ups air saver and I got them around 4 pm cst and they were scanned at the ups at 5pm pst. These wrasses came from quality marine.

I temp acclimated them, then matched the salinity of qt to the bag, they came in at 1.021 and I set the salinity of the qt to that. Once they hit temp I put them in. Currently the qt is at 74 degrees. I also don’t know the ammonia of their bags but they’re was no foul odor.
Temperature is very low (77-78) and acclimation was too soon- these guys need good acclimation
Altering the ph in the bag likely s add letters the ammonia levels also

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to remove the plastic protective film on the ammonia badge. Also it can take a couple of day for the badge to equilibrate to the water.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You'll need to remove the plastic protective film on the ammonia badge. Also it can take a couple of day for the badge to equilibrate to the water.
Goid catch- never saw the film

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Temperature is very low (77-78) and acclimation was too soon- these guys need good acclimation
Altering the ph in the bag likely s add letters the ammonia levels also
I thought it was best to get them in the tank after a salinity and temp match to avoid ammonia build up? Also the fish are eating some mysis and picking at pods. My main concern right now is the breathing and buoyancy issue

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I thought it was best to get them in the tank after a salinity and temp match to avoid ammonia build up? Also the fish are eating some mysis and picking at pods. My main concern right now is the breathing and buoyancy issue
Assure again that ammonia is not elevated
What test kits are you using?

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted. I took home a blue star yesterday with the same problem. It had been at the store for 3 or 4 days already and the guy working there said it wasn't doing that until the day I picked it up. Besides swimming weird, it's looking fat and healthy. Sharing a hole with my yellow headed jawfish.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ones with the issue unfortunately did not make it through QT. Overall 2/7 made it through qt.

I’m not exactly sure as to why they were affected this way. It could’ve been the shipping but I had never experienced anything like this.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones with the issue unfortunately did not make it through QT. Overall 2/7 made it through qt.

I’m not exactly sure as to why they were affected this way. It could’ve been the shipping but I had never experienced anything like this.

Since they all arrived that way in the same batch/supplier. It sounds like it was not your fault and they either had these issues already when sent or developed it in shipping somehow. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if they already had the issue depending where you ordered from. Could have been something with collection or transportation further up the line.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea it was very unfortunate to lose them, but it is average in my experience for leopard wrasses. They’re notoriously poor shippers.
On a good note, the ones that did make it are super happy and fat. They eat everything and have doubled in size since I’ve gotten them.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 154 76.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 21 10.4%
Back