Blue Tang Eye issues

GucciKingXII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what is going on with my blue tang I've had her for almost a year and she has always been doing great. Today I woke up and something is going on with her eye. I am looking to figure out what exactly this is and how I can help her! If anyone has any idea please let me know it would be very helpful! Also my parameters are listened below this! She is still eating and acting pretty normal.

Salinity - 1.020
Ammonia- 0
dKH- 9.7
Nitrate 6.2ppm
Temp- 77.5

tempImagegw5QPm.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
White light picture would help. A sudden onset with nothing else suggests an injury - which usually heal on its own. Your picture looks somewhat like a bacterial infection. You could consider treating with kanaplex - or neoplex

OP
OP
G

GucciKingXII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light picture would help. A sudden onset with nothing else suggests an injury - which usually heal on its own. Your picture looks somewhat like a bacterial infection. You could consider treating with kanaplex - or neoplex
Would I have to bring her to a QT to treat with either of those options? I would have to treat the entire tank which just consists of the blue tang, clown fish, and a sand sifter! As I live in a college apartment with too little space and too little money to set up a QT.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would I have to bring her to a QT to treat with either of those options? I would have to treat the entire tank which just consists of the blue tang, clown fish, and a sand sifter! As I live in a college apartment with too little space and too little money to set up a QT.
No just the affected fish - and I'm not sure you need to do that 'yet'

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am not sure what is going on with my blue tang I've had her for almost a year and she has always been doing great. Today I woke up and something is going on with her eye. I am looking to figure out what exactly this is and how I can help her! If anyone has any idea please let me know it would be very helpful! Also my parameters are listened below this! She is still eating and acting pretty normal.

Salinity - 1.020
Ammonia- 0
dKH- 9.7
Nitrate 6.2ppm
Temp- 77.5

tempImagegw5QPm.jpg
Is it one eye or both?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Any scratching or darting ?
can you provide one more pic closer to the eye ?

OP
OP
G

GucciKingXII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it one eye or both?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Any scratching or darting ?
can you provide one more pic closer to the eye ?
It is just one of her eyes and her breathing seems to be normal! She just started scratching it against the rocks in the tank so I dosed Kanaplex. I can try to get a better picture for you seen!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is just one of her eyes and her breathing seems to be normal! She just started scratching it against the rocks in the tank so I dosed Kanaplex. I can try to get a better picture for you seen!
Thanks for the answers. Reason I asked is I see what looks like dots all around the eye and my thoughts are the eye got scratched from the fish itching to get relief from what looks like flukes. . . reason I aked for a closer pic. Should it be flukes, kanaplex would not be correct treatment but rather prazi Pro.
For the eye, Ethromyacin would be the cure treated in quarantine for 5 days. Is this fish in quarantine or in display tank?

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not treat with Kano plex in main tank. You will kill other fish as dose is hard to do correctly. I lost all anthias and clowns doing same as you for a trigger eye infection.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yep - Im suspecting flukes. Im not a fan of mixing meds and if this was my fish, what would I do?
Give the fish a FW dip for 5 minutes the same temp as display tank which offers relief and buys you time. Then treat the eye so it does not worsen for 5 days with maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 which is the shorter treatment then do the Prazi treatment. The PraziPro treatment will be first removing any type of carbon that you have running to allow Prazi to run at full strength which will be one application for an 8 day interval, change water and treat again for one more 8 day interval.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back