Blue Tang Injured or Sick??

jessica386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just noticed there’s something wrong with our Blue Tang, I don’t know if she got injured or if it’s a disease. She is swimming fine, and we’ve had her over 5yrs. Can anyone please help?
IMG_4004.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Looks like an injury, but if you can retake the photo under white light, I might be able to tell you more.

Did it show up all at once, or did it grow over time?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jessica386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4004.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Looks like an injury, but if you can retake the photo under white light, I might be able to tell you more.

Did it show up all at once, or did it grow over time?

Jay
At once’s, I don’t know if she got stuck on a rock or it it’s something else.

Attachments

• IMG_4005.jpeg
    IMG_4005.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4004.jpeg

At once’s, I don’t know if she got stuck on a rock or it it’s something else.

Still too blue for a clear view, but I can see some growths that look like tiny round grapes. Can you see those? They seem to be protruding from the fish. Bacterial diseases are usually erosive, that is, the bacteria eats away at the fish tissue, making it less. In this case, it looks like it is something growing larger. If this had developed slowly or weeks, I would say it is a cancerous growth. However, you said it showed up suddenly - that could mean that it is a fungal infection (but those are really rare). Do you have a treatment tank available?

jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jessica386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still too blue for a clear view, but I can see some growths that look like tiny round grapes. Can you see those? They seem to be protruding from the fish. Bacterial diseases are usually erosive, that is, the bacteria eats away at the fish tissue, making it less. In this case, it looks like it is something growing larger. If this had developed slowly or weeks, I would say it is a cancerous growth. However, you said it showed up suddenly - that could mean that it is a fungal infection (but those are really rare). Do you have a treatment tank available?

jay
Jay, thank you so much for replying! Here are some pics I just took. Oh yeah, and she still very active and eating real good too.

Attachments

• IMG_4028.png
    IMG_4028.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4029.png
    IMG_4029.png
    818 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just noticed there’s something wrong with our Blue Tang, I don’t know if she got injured or if it’s a disease. She is swimming fine, and we’ve had her over 5yrs. Can anyone please help?
IMG_4004.jpeg
This happened to my blue a few times cause he was always getting stuck in small cracks he thought he could fit in. I treated with kanaplex and focus on what fish medics here advised! @Jay Hemdal is super good with this stuff, I would get him a video and a video under white light

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back