Blue tang Problem

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive had my blue tang in my tank for about a month now and recently some discoloration of some sort has started appearing on him. I dont know what it is and how to treat it for now ive been feeding garlic to keep his immune system but i dont think thats been helping too much.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take that picture without any photoshop or anything so we can see the fish the way it is.

OP
OP
Peluza0531

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take that picture without any photoshop or anything so we can see the fish the way it is.
Its not photoshop its just so hard to get a steady picture of him because he gets scared whenever I pull out my phone so I have to zoom in

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like in part, vitamin deficiency. What are you feeding it?
At minimum, it should get:
Mysis shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Spirulina brine shrimp

add garlic extract to its food 2-3x per week

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any actual evidence that garlic helps to boost fish immune system ... or immune systems in general? Plenty of pseudo-science and homeopathic drivel. i fed garlic to my fish for a while, then concluded it was idiotic and stopped. Guess what: no difference. Hard to know what the pale patches are. Could be fungus or it could be diet related. What have you been feeding it? contrary to popular opinion, the hepatus tang is more plankton feeder than herbivore, so make sure it's getting plenty of meaty foods.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no evidence garlic does anything. Also my Hippo tang has never eaten greens of any kind and is a beautiful royal blue. This one is only in my tank for a year but my last one was ten years old.
My fish all get a mixture of clams, fish and mysis. Also some live white worms a couple of times a week.
Even my 30 year olds.
That white patch is common on hippo tangs. Mine had it when I got him and in a few weeks in my tank it went away on it's own. I would not medicate that fish.

OP
OP
Peluza0531

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like in part, vitamin deficiency. What are you feeding it?
At minimum, it should get:
Mysis shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Spirulina brine shrimp

add garlic extract to its food 2-3x per week
Im feeding it Tdo with mysis and brine shrimp 2 times a day

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive had my blue tang in my tank for about a month now and recently some discoloration of some sort has started appearing on him. I dont know what it is and how to treat it for now ive been feeding garlic to keep his immune system but i dont think thats been helping too much.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
He also seems to have shredded fins. My blue tang can get splotches like that when stressed. Could something in the tank be picking on him?

OP
OP
Peluza0531

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also seems to have shredded fins. My blue tang can get splotches like that when stressed. Could something in the tank be picking on him?
Yes I bought him with something attached to his tail but one of my cleaner shrimp picked it off now Im pretty sure his tail is regrowing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there any actual evidence that garlic helps to boost fish immune system ... or immune systems in general? Plenty of pseudo-science and homeopathic drivel. i fed garlic to my fish for a while, then concluded it was idiotic and stopped. Guess what: no difference. Hard to know what the pale patches are. Could be fungus or it could be diet related. What have you been feeding it? contrary to popular opinion, the hepatus tang is more plankton feeder than herbivore, so make sure it's getting plenty of meaty foods.
I recommend it as an enticer for feeding

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if you talking about that white patch or not as the picture is horrible. But if you are, forget about it.
Mine had the same discoloration and it totally disappeared. You can see it here

And a few weeks later. Now it's gone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back