Blue tang - should I treat or is it too late

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this blue tang for a few weeks. It certainly had Ich when I got it but every fish in the tank has had Ich 4 months ago and after installing UV and feeding dry foods with Selcon and frozen reef frenzy, I haven’t seen a spec since. Blue tang was super active and eating for first 3 weeks but recently after power outage 3 days ago (tank got to 82+ degrees) the blue tang is lethargic and breathing very fast.

Should I take him out to do a fw dip? Or is it likely too late and the stress will definitely kill the fish? Here are a couple videos. Doesn’t look like Ich anymore.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After further inspection the fish definitely does still have Ich. Larger individual dots rather than dusting or mucus. Maybe it’s just combined with other diseases now. Symptoms are: left fin clamped, can’t really swim upright well, not eating as much, nose pointed upwards. The fish stays in the middle of the water column flapping away…. And he will chase food a lot but only eat very little

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had this blue tang for a few weeks. It certainly had Ich when I got it but every fish in the tank has had Ich 4 months ago and after installing UV and feeding dry foods with Selcon and frozen reef frenzy, I haven’t seen a spec since. Blue tang was super active and eating for first 3 weeks but recently after power outage 3 days ago (tank got to 82+ degrees) the blue tang is lethargic and breathing very fast.

Should I take him out to do a fw dip? Or is it likely too late and the stress will definitely kill the fish? Here are a couple videos. Doesn’t look like Ich anymore.

This fish appears weakened mainly from being very thin. The temperature as high as it got should not have had this type of impact.
This fish needs more than dry foods as its a herbivore but requires meaty foods as well as vegetation in its diet with fats and aminos. As long as its eating, you can fatten it up with proper diet. Add an air stone for added aeration.
A closer movie image would help to look the fish over.
Some foods to feed are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Blue tang is really thin and weak, not able to hold himself steadily upright (in the first video).
If he is not eating well, and I think he is not eating due to pinched stomach, he will not last long.
His only hope is get him to eat. Once he eating then you can think about treatment or not. FOOD is the PRIMARY thing you need to worry about now or he will not make it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back