Blue Tang White Rash

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo tang that's been in quarantine a few weeks now. It is very active and eating well. It did not originally have this rash when I got it but rather in randomly just popped up one day about 2 weeks into quarantine. I've tried copper, Kanaplex, freshwater dips, General Cure, and E.M.

Erythromycin. However it just seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?​

PXL_20221105_223811359.jpg PXL_20221105_223846999.jpg PXL_20221105_223847803.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a blue hippo tang that's been in quarantine a few weeks now. It is very active and eating well. It did not originally have this rash when I got it but rather in randomly just popped up one day about 2 weeks into quarantine. I've tried copper, Kanaplex, freshwater dips, General Cure, and E.M.

Erythromycin. However it just seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?​

PXL_20221105_223811359.jpg PXL_20221105_223846999.jpg PXL_20221105_223847803.jpg
Yikes- this is a very accelarated bacterial likely secondary infection with fungus. How long has this been there and progressed?
Was this fish at one time injured or fought with another tank mate ?
Is fish eating ?
Is breathing normal or accelarated ?
What is current ammonia-ph-nitrate level and tested with what test kits?

ARE YOU CURRENTLY TREATING TANK WITH ANYTHING?

Treatment will be Seachem Kanaplex which addresses both bacterial and fungal issues. In addition I would add seachem metroplex (as long as fish is eating) to the foods at .5gm which is tiny amount to address anaroebic bacteria

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in quarantine about 3 weeks. Rash appeared seemingly overnight about 4 days ago. No sign of injury. Was with a baby foxface but they were very friendly and never showed even a little bit of aggression. I don't test (other than salinity) but I do large water changes very frequently (50% about every 5days or so). System has been cycled for a very long time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While fish do develop tumors/cancer, and one type of growth does look gnarly like this, the rapid onset shows that it isn't a neoplasm.

There is a rare fungus that infects marine fish externally (most external funguses are freshwater only). I think more likely this is a bacterial plaque, an overgrowth of an injury. Kanaplex is one broad spectrum antibiotic, but I prefer Neoplex. Picking an antibiotic is often just a guess - you want a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic that works at a high pH (so not tetracyclines).

Jay

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While fish do develop tumors/cancer, and one type of growth does look gnarly like this, the rapid onset shows that it isn't a neoplasm.

There is a rare fungus that infects marine fish externally (most external funguses are freshwater only). I think more likely this is a bacterial plaque, an overgrowth of an injury. Kanaplex is one broad spectrum antibiotic, but I prefer Neoplex. Picking an antibiotic is often just a guess - you want a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic that works at a high pH (so not tetracyclines).

Jay
Thank you!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back