Blue Tang With Ich?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then how would a fellow reefer now if there new fish they just quarantine is cured from ich. Human errors on cupramine, hypo etc can lead ich to still survive.

Post treatment observe the fish alongside a few black mollies which have no immunity to SW diseases: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-black-mollies-vs-marine-fish-diseases.312166/

If the mollies "hit" after 2-3 weeks you'll know any fish which shares water with them has the same disease they are showing.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post treatment observe the fish alongside a few black mollies which have no immunity to SW diseases: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-black-mollies-vs-marine-fish-diseases.312166/

If the mollies "hit" after 2-3 weeks you'll know any fish which shares water with them has the same disease they are showing.
So every fish I quarantine from now I should do the black Molly test? It’s seems like a good idea to keep my display tank clean. Thx for the tip.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOS, I have taken my time to do cupramine in fowlr this is the 19 day at .5 levels to eradicate ich, the good news is fish have no ich, bad news is ammonia is creeping up. I just did a 30% water change. Well my yellow clown goby is probably rotting in the live rock after he died in it and it’s just impossible to get the dead body out, should I keep doing water changes? Ammonia is at .1 rn.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOS, I have taken my time to do cupramine in fowlr this is the 19 day at .5 levels to eradicate ich, the good news is fish have no ich, bad news is ammonia is creeping up. I just did a 30% water change. Well my yellow clown goby is probably rotting in the live rock after he died in it and it’s just impossible to get the dead body out, should I keep doing water changes? Ammonia is at .1 rn.
Yep keep changing the water as testing indicates. Very important though to pre add the copper into the water "before" it is added into the tank. Do not let the therapeutic level drop below minimum even for a moment.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al
Yep keep changing the water as testing indicates. Very important though to pre add the copper into the water "before" it is added into the tank. Do not let the therapeutic level drop below minimum even for a moment.
Alrighty then I’ll keep doing water changes also if it drops to anything below .35 u must restart the clock right?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.4-.5 is considered by most to be therapeutic level. What are you using to measure the level?

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE. This is the 26 day with copper maintained at .5 and little over. I saw my blue tang scratching two times. There are no white spots on any other fish, does anyone you think somewhere my copper dropped I suspect it was that water change I did that i accidentally only add half the dosage to get it to .25 for the new saltwater mix. But I checked the copper instantly after that and it read .42 approximately so i'm not quite sure. However I Did remember reading about someone saying that copper can make the blue tang skin itch. I'd hate to really start over the 30 day copper

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as long as the total amount was at therapeutic level you should be fine. I also had a blue tang that would flash at times even after treatment of copper. Blue tangs are just odd fish and my blue tang still scratches on a coral once in a while but he has no spots at all.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as long as the total amount was at therapeutic level you should be fine. I also had a blue tang that would flash at times even after treatment of copper. Blue tangs are just odd fish and my blue tang still scratches on a coral once in a while but he has no spots at all.
I truly do hope that is the case and not that he has ich again

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah even after he went into display he would end up with a white spot like 1 or maybe 2 but it was never raised. Ich has to be raised. Blue tangs slimecoat is just so then and they will wedge themselves in spots and then scratch their slimecoat all the time.

Dolney36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp-lab makes a product ( medic ) to treat ich that is safe for corals and inverts also which is nice when it is a chore to catch the fish to be put in qt. I have heard good things about it

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOS my blue tang started scratching quite furiously about like 6 times I've seen so far today and its usually in the evening foursome reason. This is the 28th day in copper! I can not find any noticeable signs of ich and none of my other fish are not scratching or have any symptoms of fast breathing or white spots on them. I have been testing everyday! for copper making sure it was above or near .5. I used TWO seachem cupramine test kits to make sure that one kit was working and they both displayed the same results. I don't understand why he is scratching and it is weird that he is the only one scratching. As I said earlier he is starting to scratch more and more frequently.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are the results from treating my DT with cupramine. All ich is eradicated there is some fungi and and gill flukes I still need to take care of. Copper has went from .6 to .2 in a week is there anyway i can speed it up or is waiting and doing water changes the best I can do. I have carbon and cuprisorb running btw. Also can I use Instant Ocean bio spira to jump start the tank again or will .2 copper just kill all of them?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back