Blue Tang With Ich?

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recency just finish quarantining my Blue Tang and took 3 days to observe to make sure he was okay. I Just transferred in the tank then the next day he there this tiny dot on his dorsal fin i'm not sure if its sand or ich, he also started to scratch against rocks about 1-3 times today, an that was it. Is this early symptoms of ich?

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tang in copper? Sometimes it makes a fish's skin itch, especially seems with some tangs. Does the dot look cauliflower or cotton like?
Yes the tang was was in the copper tank on Wednesday then it was transferred to a observation tank where it stayed for 3 days then it was transferred to the display tank yesterday. The dot looks like a 1 piece of sand grain stuck to him it doesn't look like lymph . It just looks like a a 1 piece of grain sand stuck to him. If he does have ich i'm thinking about treating the display tank with para guard, i have no corals or inverts rn. But would I still be able to add corals and inverts after the treatment or does it stain the equipment and leak out from sand and liverock.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of treating display tank with meds of any kind. You just don't know how they will effect an individual tank and it's biosystem. ParaGuard contains malachite green which "could" stain the tank or its contents. The safest way to treat a display tank that has parasites like Ich/Velvet is to let the tank go "fallow" for 76 days, starving out the parasites as there would be no fish host to feed upon. The only except is Uronema which does not need a fish host to survive.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of treating display tank with meds of any kind. You just don't know how they will effect an individual tank and it's biosystem. ParaGuard contains malachite green which "could" stain the tank or its contents. The safest way to treat a display tank that has parasites like Ich/Velvet is to let the tank go "fallow" for 76 days, starving out the parasites as there would be no fish host to feed upon. The only except is Uronema which does not need a fish host to survive.
Should I take them out and treat them with Kordon Rid Ich Plus and wait for fallow? Or should I treat with Hyposalinity in DT, I have VERY minimal algae rn and I don't have any inverts as a i said so there will be very low Ammonia spike if none at all , an I do have ammo lock if anything does goes wrong. Well first thing first is I still don't know if it was ich

Last edited:
OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well atlesst i learned some thing. According to sea chem they say I can treat a Fowler tank and they say copper will temporary bind to the rock. Is this doable?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well atlesst i learned some thing. According to sea chem they say I can treat a Fowler tank and they say copper will temporary bind to the rock. Is this doable?

Yes, but you will need to test daily to ensure your copper level is remaining therapeutic (0.4-0.5mg/L for Cupramine.)

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you will need to test daily to ensure your copper level is remaining therapeutic (0.4-0.5mg/L for Cupramine.)
If I were to do this would I be ever able to add corals or switch to a reef tank. Using excessive amount of carbon to get rid of copper?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, I would take the effort to catch him and put him in QT. This is easier than medicating a tank or medicating his food and hoping for the best.

I recently made the mistake of transferring 2 fish from QT to my 110 gallon when one of the fish was recovering from a bacterial infection. I thought...this fish is doing better and is good enough. Wrong! Once in the tank they both showed ragged fins and blotchy skin. I medicated their food for several weeks. Some days they improved. Some days symptoms reappeared. I wasted time and medication.

Finally, I took half the rocks out and caught them and put in QT.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first first in the tank? Why tamper with the tank for one fish? Remove it and treat

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do this would I be ever able to add corals or switch to a reef tank. Using excessive amount of carbon to get rid of copper?

It would take time, but running Cuprisorb or a poly filter would eventually pull all the copper out of the tank/rocks/sand.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first first in the tank? Why tamper with the tank for one fish? Remove it and treat
No he’s is not the first, I have a diamond goby, two clowns and one yellow tang, who does not have any ich symptoms and one yellow clown goby.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take time, but running Cuprisorb or a poly filter would eventually pull all the copper out of the tank/rocks/sand.
Well how long will it take for copper to come out? Well first I still don’t know if my blue tang has ich. He still has like 2 piece of small grain on his dorsal fin. It doesn’t look anything like ich tho and he’s only scratched once or twice yesterday but none today. I will try to get pictures

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how long will it take for copper to come out?

Probably a month or longer. Basically, you are waiting for all of the copper to leach back out of the rock so it can be removed by the media.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a month or longer. Basically, you are waiting for all of the copper to leach back out of the rock so it can be removed by the media.
I feel like I’m going with this route but I’m still waiting to see if my blue tang has any spots that are clearly visible. I appreciate everyone’s help from R2R thx

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tang 6th day in display tank no ich spots and no flashing yet. If there was ich would he have it by now?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tang 6th day in display tank no ich spots and no flashing yet. If there was ich would he have it by now?

Not necessarily. Ich is not an overly aggressive parasite (especially compared to velvet), so it can sometimes take weeks/months for symptoms to show.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. Ich is not an overly aggressive parasite (especially compared to velvet), so it can sometimes take weeks/months for symptoms to show.
Then how would a fellow reefer now if there new fish they just quarantine is cured from ich. Human errors on cupramine, hypo etc can lead ich to still survive.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back