Blue tang

Amandarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My local fish store has a tang that's been in a 20 gal tank for over two years and I feel pretty bad for him! I have a 60 gal tank and the fish is 4 inches long would it be okay to rescue him. Being he's been so malnourished would he even grow to full size?

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My local fish store has a tang that's been in a 20 gal tank for over two years and I feel pretty bad for him! I have a 60 gal tank and the fish is 4 inches long would it be okay to rescue him. Being he's been so malnourished would he even grow to full size?
What kind of tang is it?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Imo 60>20 and proper feeding>malnutrition lol, but if it's a 20 long the length can't be much different than your 60? The length is more important for tangs than the gallons. Ideally should be in a 6ft+ tank. No way to tell how big he will grow until he does or doesn't. Are you sure he's malnourished and doesn't just have parasites or something? Regardless, you seem to care more than the owner but maybe the stress of moving to a new environment would negate the upgrade, I'm not sure. What fish do you have in your tank vs what he lives with now?

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that's one of the harshest realities about our hobby, that some people aren't going to take proper care of their animals. While I do feel bad for this Blue Tang, it's not really a great idea for you to "rescue" it either. When people "rescue" fish, the LFS thinks that they are popular and will order more. Odds are, once you take the fish home, you'll see a new one in the same 20L not too long after. Also, yes, 60>20 but not by much. P. hepatus needs an 6 foot tank minimum, I would like to see them in 8 foot tanks. I highly advise you not to bring him home, as sad as it is...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back