Blue Throat and Sargassum Triggerfish in a Reef Tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard these are the most reef safe triggers so I think one or a pair (same species) would be something to look into. If any of you have kept these two triggers, I’d love for you to comment on your experiences with them.

Are they aggressive towards smaller and / or more peaceful fish?

Do they love to re-arrange rock’s and nip at corals?

Are they difficult to get eating? What do yours eat?

How long have you had them?

Should I add one or a pair before or after my Yellow Tang and Bristletooth Tang (most likely Yellow Eye Kole).

Are they tough and disease resistant?

Any other special requirements?

How active are they? What tank size do you keep them in?

Do they get stressed by anything easily?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other Tank Mates:

-Genicanthus Angels

-Royal Gramma

-Ocellaris Clownfish

-Flame Hawkfish

-Pajama Cardinalfish

-Black and White Heniochus (Yolo, If I’m gonna get a butterfly gonna get an easier one)

-Yellow Tang

-Yellow Eye Kole Tang

-Marine Betta

-Yellow Candy Hogfish

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat algea and can be nasty with inverts. They have some really nasty teeth. The female got me a couple of times. If you are going to try it these are the ones. I whould use extrme caution as the warning. Be prepared to rehome.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rehome because of their aggression towards more peaceful tank mates? Or because they bite?

Also, you said they eat algae. Do they eat it in the same way as a Tang or Foxface would? (Can they make a good “utility fish?”)

Also, I’ll be adding a OSFF. Forgot to include it in the list of tankmates.

Made a grammatical error with the title of this thread. Should be BTT or RTT, not both in the same tank.

Last edited:

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My blue throat and all of the ones I've seen my LFS get are pretty much solitary. Mine does not mingle much with the other fish (Tangs, Tusk, Damsels, Clowns, etc.) and does his own thing. He's never went after a shrimp or any inverts.

He loves LRS and clams on a half shell. Really beautiful fish and can be fun to watch.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Clams on a half shell, hmm. Might try some frozen ones from the seafood market. Have you found them a difficult fish to get eating?
I cant stop him from eating. He eats anything. He even eats the little bits of Nori that escape the clip.

My LRS said they havent had one thats a finicky eater yet.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue throat is a saint. My tank is 265 gallons 7 feet long
But he hasn’t touched any hermits of my my bloodfire shrimp

I never seen it start with another fish in my 3 years of having this fish

I will say in the beginning it was super shy and I got it from another reefer who had it over a year. So I would say a wild one would probably I think be even more shyer.

but to be honest except my sohal tang that I got rid of I don’t ever have aggression in my tank.
I feed very heavily and have 49 fish.
My 2 yellows and my purple never even look at each other and my yellows are bigger and where in the tank 2 years before I added my purple.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Throat only has an issue with my Hippo Tang but it's more of a I'm here too type thing. Eats anything I put in the tank including my fingers if I leave them in to long at the top of the water when hand feeding. Other than that he's a model citizen

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard they are algae eaters. Do they make good utility fish in the same sense as a Yellow Tang, Bristletooth Tang, or Foxface would?

Here’s what I am thinking for my utility fish:

-Yellow Tang (algae eater)

-Bristletooth Tang (most likely Yellow Eye Kole) -algae eater

-One Spot Foxface (algae eater)

-Yellow Candy Hogfish (bug eater)

-One or a pair of Blue Throat Triggers (algae eaters)

-Black and White Heniochus (Aiptasia eater)

Maybe:

-Double Saddle Butterflyfish (Aiptasia eater)

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue throat and sargassum triggers aren't algae eaters, they are planktavores, like genicanthus angels. It's due to this that they are less likely to chomp on your corals because they are used to picking plankton and small fish from the open water. They may eat nori or algae based foods if you add any but they won't remove it from rockwork (if they bite at it they are most likely eating something trapped in it).

You are getting quite a list of big fish for your tank which is ok if you like that look but it will make your tank look smaller and mean you need much more filtration and work to keep it pristine.
If you are set on a trigger then both are pretty much the same. I'd only go for one of those two and pick which ever you prefer. In terms of being reef safe, they are normally no problem with corals but can potentially eat shrimp and cuc.

I'd also reconsider the hog fish. As a species they can be nasty towards similar shape fish and may go for the gramma or any new fish you add. If you want a wrasse that eats pods and is colourful then look at a halichoeres as most don't cause any problems.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue throat trigger male in my mixed reef tank that also has shrimps and snails. He’s a model citizen and is best friends with my fox face. Keep it well fed because he’s a voracious eater of frozen krill and mysis.

He leaves all my corals and smaller fish alone inc hawkfish, firefish, canary wrasse, Marine betta, goby, 2x clowns and royal gramma. He has been cleaned a number of times by my cleaner shrimps.

I’ve only had it 2 weeks so you could argue it’s early days. I’m thinking about getting him a female but it’s tough to find one right now.

46C52C35-4502-477D-848A-26B7330040E8.jpeg

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. Building a 225g, and a blue throat is at the top of my want list. Was more worried about aggression against CUC and shrimp. Had a 180g 15 years ago with a Niger trigger and he ate all my shrimp and snails.
Just love watching these guys swim. I head read somewhere couple months ago that the blue throat was about the only reef safe trigger. Good luck and post some pics when you have him!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bluethroat doesn't eat off the rocks but will tear up a piece of Nori, have Wheelers Gobies in my tank & he doesn't bother them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back