Yellow longnose butterflyfish, experience and reef safe thoughts

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to see if you guys had experience keeping yellow longnose butterflyfish in reef tank environments and how they do in captivity in general, are they hardy or difficult to keep alive, can they be reef compatible and if so what type of coral could they live with. All replies are acceptable.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to see if you guys had experience keeping yellow longnose butterflyfish in reef tank environments and how they do in captivity in general, are they hardy or difficult to keep alive, can they be reef compatible and if so what type of coral could they live with. All replies are acceptable.
These are supposedly somewhat more risky than CBBs. Mine however is completely fine, and honestly they fare better than a CBB in captivity.
I also find the yellow they bring is very close to, if not brighter than a yellow tang.
IMG_9266.jpeg

Also, one thing mine definitely does is he holds his own when it comes to food. My CBB also did this but he was actually slightly more aggressive.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine.Was Easy to get eating and lots of personality . Been safe so far with softies and nems and hammer and zoa and mushrooms . About to get some montipora so will see. Great little fish with semi aggressive tankmates too. One of my favorites. Easiest fish to catch too as it swims right into a box for food .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back