Blue Throat Trigger Hiding and not Eating

  • Thread starter Thread starter pnchowdary
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The sump may be a better choice if you can’t keep the water quality up in a QT. That said, it also depends on the volume of your sump, if it allows lateral viewing, not too many bubbles in it, etc.
Thank you very much for the advice. The sump will be certainly better. My sump is about 60 gallons and the chamber I want to put in is about 20 gals and it doesn’t have any bubbles. The Display Tank is 200 gal, so a total volume of 260 gal. I will report back on any updates. Thanks for all your help.
 
I have been offering it Nori & reef frenzy every day and it was not eating. Today when I tried to feed it and when a piece came near it’s mouth, it sucked it in. Then I tried feeding the pieces very near its mouth and it ate any pieces that almost touched its mouth, However, any other pieces that didn’t come very close to it mouth were ignored by it. I am happy that it finally ate a few pieces after more than 3 weeks. I was wondering whether it can see properly. Have you guys ever seen such behavior and do you think it has lost its eyesight?. I will try feeding it tomorrow a couple of times and see how it goes. Please share your thoughts.
 
I have been offering it Nori & reef frenzy every day and it was not eating. Today when I tried to feed it and when a piece came near it’s mouth, it sucked it in. Then I tried feeding the pieces very near its mouth and it ate any pieces that almost touched its mouth, However, any other pieces that didn’t come very close to it mouth were ignored by it. I am happy that it finally ate a few pieces after more than 3 weeks. I was wondering whether it can see properly. Have you guys ever seen such behavior and do you think it has lost its eyesight?. I will try feeding it tomorrow a couple of times and see how it goes. Please share your thoughts.

Wow - sure sounds like it is blind or vision impaired. That was a bit unexpected, its eyes didn't look that cloudy or damaged.

I'd skip the nori and concentrate on hand feeding it higher protein food. As it learns that your hand will feed it, it should get more active taking food from you.

I can't say if its sight will recover or not. I wrote an article on fish eye health, but there is no specific advice, just general information:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-the-eyes-have-it-a-review-of-eye-health-in-aquarium-fishes/
 
Wow - sure sounds like it is blind or vision impaired. That was a bit unexpected, its eyes didn't look that cloudy or damaged.

I'd skip the nori and concentrate on hand feeding it higher protein food. As it learns that your hand will feed it, it should get more active taking food from you.

I can't say if its sight will recover or not. I wrote an article on fish eye health, but there is no specific advice, just general information:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-the-eyes-have-it-a-review-of-eye-health-in-aquarium-fishes/
Thank you very much for your advice. I will keep hand feeding it and hopefully its vision will improve. I will report any significant updates back to you.
 
Did your guy make it ?
It is still alive. It’s living in my sump and being hand fed every day. It eats only the food pieces that touch its mouth. I believe that it’s become blind. It’s been hard to feed it this way. It’s been more than month in this state.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new