Blue throat trigger - in QT, not eating

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read these guys are super shy. I'm on day 3 and he's still not eating anything. He basically hides in the PVC all-day long. I do see him out occasionally but it's rarer than anything. What can I do to get him eating?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure he isn’t eating while you are not watching? Have you tried live food?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have you checked your copper lever assuming you are QT with copper ?
What is salinity and tank temp ?
What foods are you offering- meaty or live is best

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always suspect any fish that is not eating could possibly have internal parasites. I would treat with general cure and if so, he should be eating within a couple of days. Otherwise, blue throats are sketchy and it may just take some time to hit on what they like. Drop a clam on the half shell and just walk away to see if he starts to pick at it, most fish like these.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sure he isn’t eating while you are not watching? Have you tried live food?
Positive. Haven't tried live yet - what would you suggest?

Have you checked your copper lever assuming you are QT with copper ?
What is salinity and tank temp ?
What foods are you offering- meaty or live is best
The first week I don't medicate, just observe.
Sal is 35ppt
Temp is 78*
I've offered mysis, brine, and a larger type of meaty food, forgot the name, will check. All frozen.

I always suspect any fish that is not eating could possibly have internal parasites. I would treat with general cure and if so, he should be eating within a couple of days. Otherwise, blue throats are sketchy and it may just take some time to hit on what they like. Drop a clam on the half shell and just walk away to see if he starts to pick at it, most fish like these.
I have some clams in the freezer ready to go, I'll try one out tomorrow and see if he digs in. He's on the small/medium size but he's got some girth, definitely not underfed when I got him .

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For live food I would recommend copepods, most fish love those and cant help nibbling at them. You could also try live brine shrimp, slightly bigger and probably easier for a trigger to see. Have you tried feeding it large meaty foods like cocktail shrimp of sardines?( fresh, or in water, not oil. Id rinse them anyways just to be safe) YOu could use a large pair of tweezers and just waive the food right in front of it. Also maybe add garlic to it, because its good at killing parasites, makes food more nutritious and tastier to fish.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the meatier food

PXL_20201110_030957806.jpg

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put a small clam in the tank this morning, its opened up. We'll see if he eats it. It's ok to leave in the tank all day, right?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clam was in there all day.... He didn't touch it. He was alone in the basement so it's not like anything was around to spook him. I'll try and find some live food, last time I looked no one local had any. Should I treat with prazi or general cure? I don't want to stress him more. Should I leave lights off?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam was in there all day.... He didn't touch it. He was alone in the basement so it's not like anything was around to spook him. I'll try and find some live food, last time I looked no one local had any. Should I treat with prazi or general cure? I don't want to stress him more. Should I leave lights off?

Blue throats are not notorious for needing live foods, I would immediately treat with general cure. Prazi only manages some of the parasites, but gc contains prazi and metro which will cover a broader range. If you wait, it may be too late.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue throats are not notorious for needing live foods, I would immediately treat with general cure. Prazi only manages some of the parasites, but gc contains prazi and metro which will cover a broader range. If you wait, it may be too late.
Thanks, I'll go do it now. GC can be used in the water column and with food (via focus) right? If he's not eating this won't treat anything internal, right?

I'll try and find some live food asap. live brine shrimp ?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll go do it now. GC can be used in the water column and with food (via focus) right? If he's not eating this won't treat anything internal, right?

I'll try and find some live food asap. live brine shrimp ?

GC works well in the water column. One packet per 10g, mix in container with tank water then pour it in.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just finished a QT of a blue throat and put him into my DT he hid everyday he was in QT in the pvc elbow i had to hide so i could see him eating now that hes in the DT hes swimming with the rest of the fish and eating like other fish

Back