Blue throat trigger just laying around.. help!

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...
I have a Male bluethroat in my display tank. Hes been in there almost two weeks. And before that in qt for a month. About a week I to qt. He stopped actively going after food. And since going on the display he just lays around in the sand. Occassionally swims for a minute then lays back down. I assume hes eating since it's been 5 weeks since I last saw him eat. Any idea why he is just laying in the sand and not being more active?

The tank is about 18 months old. I have a pair of small clownfish in the tank, a small flame angel, and a small fox face.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

20190520_201917.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a number of issues, including stress. Internal parasites are pretty common in triggers and can lead to this. Was it QT'd? Any signs of internal parasites - white stringy poop?

OP
OP
R

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a number of issues, including stress. Internal parasites are pretty common in triggers and can lead to this. Was it QT'd? Any signs of internal parasites - white stringy poop?[/Q
It was quarantined for a month. 3 weeks of cupramine, and 1 week prazipro before going in the display. no signs of stress. And I haven't seen him poop.

OP
OP
R

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to assume if he isn’t eating and you don’t know what’s wrong with it, it will surely die soon.
That's what I'm afraid of. But its been 5 weeks since I have seen him eat. I assume he would have died by now if he wasn't eating something.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating, laying on bottom is not normal for a trigger. He will die any day now since he’s not acting normal, it’s not the end of the world. If you noticed some disease early on treating it might have help.

OP
OP
R

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating, laying on bottom is not normal for a trigger. He will die any day now since he’s not acting normal, it’s not the end of the world. If you noticed some disease early on treating it might have help.
yeah, it really weird since he was QT'd.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much I can think of doing. You could try separating it back and leaving in methylene blue which sometimes helps.

5ml per 10gal

OP
OP
R

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much I can think of doing. You could try separating it back and leaving in methylene blue which sometimes helps.

5ml per 10gal
My QT, is full of other fish at the moment. I will see if I can put something together to try this.

OP
OP
R

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might feel to cramped, mine didn’t swim at all until it was in my 90, 48’’ long. Just a thought.
a 75 is the same dimensions except the height. I only have 4 other fish in the tank. 2 small clowns, a small foxface, and a small flame angel. I'm so puzzled by this. And none of the fish pay any attention to the trigger.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it’s acting like that cuz it’s feeling cramped. My tank is cramped, and all 14 fish are as healthy as can be especially considering they came from a large ocean. Although I haven’t had a fish die in over 5 years( a wrasse that jumped out and my lab grabbed it and chomped it) in 30+ years sometimes you wake up in the morning and a fish has passed for no apparent reason. And I don’t quarantine.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, it really weird since he was QT'd.
Not really, I don’t quarantine and don’t lose fish. Maybe meds in quarantine caused the problem with the fish. I read so many threads on here where people kill so many fish while in quarantine it’s kinda crazy. Probably more in a week than I’ve lost in a decade+

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, I don’t quarantine and don’t lose fish. Maybe meds in quarantine caused the problem with the fish. I read so many threads on here where people kill so many fish while in quarantine it’s kinda crazy. Probably more in a week than I’ve lost in a decade+
+1

dcotten49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...
I have a Male bluethroat in my display tank. Hes been in there almost two weeks. And before that in qt for a month. About a week I to qt. He stopped actively going after food. And since going on the display he just lays around in the sand. Occassionally swims for a minute then lays back down. I assume hes eating since it's been 5 weeks since I last saw him eat. Any idea why he is just laying in the sand and not being more active?

The tank is about 18 months old. I have a pair of small clownfish in the tank, a small flame angel, and a small fox face.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

20190520_201917.jpg
I am having the same issue now. Were you able to help him? if so what did you do to treat it? Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back